Snow Beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul M

Reaction score
2020 Expedition Max Platinum four wheel drive, tow package:

This won't mean much to everyone that lives up North, but I've spent the last ten days driving daily in the Oklahoma Snowpacalypse. My daughter is a Speech pathologist in a skilled nursing center who has to be at work and the rest is dealing with family, meds delivered, and taking care of our commercial properties, frozen pipe at my sister's, etc. Oh, and before the weather took a huge crap on Oklahoma I started a remodel of our house...

I've driven/owned a truck since I was fifteen and the Expedition is by far the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. The F150's were more of a brute force, go through anything, but the Expy just goes. Smoothly, no hesitation, and the only white knuckle moments are dodging idiots in small cars going sideways or not at all.

Actually, it's taken some of the fun out of playing in the snow...

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I would agree. We're in Colorado and I have Blizzak's on our Expedition. I think we could plow through about anything..

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
100% - Minus my issues with the underbody protection acting like a snow collector.

I'm afraid to look under the car after the dumping we received in MI

Fairly standard stuff - happens up here all the time to all our vehicles. My Audi catches snow in the underbelly aerodynamic/protective panels all the time in the deeper stuff. Not much you can do about it really.

Luckily, there's no salt on top of the deeper snow, so less of a corrosion concern. But it's why I keep our vehicles parked in a heated garage, to melt all that excess baggage!

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue as of late is snow/ice collecting some place where the electronic brake sensor is located. Its causing a false positive that the e-brake is enabled and causes the vehicle to announce constantly that the brake is on and to release message along with CONSTANT gonging. Also getting "Limited Brake functionality" messages. Ebrake message is RED and Limited brake message is yellow. *shrug*

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue as of late is snow/ice collecting some place where the electronic brake sensor is located. Its causing a false positive that the e-brake is enabled and causes the vehicle to announce constantly that the brake is on and to release message along with CONSTANT gonging. Also getting "Limited Brake functionality" messages. Ebrake message is RED and Limited brake message is yellow. *shrug*

The electronic E-brake has a motorized actuator that applies the small drum brakes inside the rotors on the rear wheels. Perhaps you've got some ice in the rear parking brake assembly where it won't release correctly. If possible, maybe pull it inside someplace so it can thaw.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree, save for the tires!!! with tires, this truck is very capable

Aerogt01

Reaction score
Just to give anyone a quick comparison - With the stock tires on the Expy our Commander runs circles around the Expy in the snow.

The Commander has worn-out (down to the wear bars) Yokohama Geolanders on it.
The Expy has 5k on brand new Hankooks.

4wd helps, but tires make all the difference.