Software update 03 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dwilds

Reaction score
So I had my 03 Expedition XLT in a local shop today to hunt down a vacuum leak sending AC to the default defroster vents and a P0401 which they found were easy fixes. Loose connection on the DPFE sensor and broken elbow for the vacuum leak. All is good there. The shop then told me that there was a PCM software update available for the Expy but they couldn’t elaborate on what the update fixed or what it affected. They wanted 92 bucks to apply the update. I called th local Ford Dealer who advised they would charge 102 to do it but that wouldn’t do it unless it corrected an existing issue or check engine light. Now I’m a software/IT guy so I’m all about updating if there’s some performance gain or enhanced features to gain from it.
Is there a way to find out what the update does before blinding paying to it? The local shop provided me the version number that they are recommending. One caveat is that the Expy has 140k miles on it with a replaced transmission with about 35k miles on it and a reman 5.4L installed by a Ford dealer in Dalton Ga. that has 9k miles on it.
thoughts?

Plati

Reaction score
I have an 03 XLT and I would do as advised "wouldn’t do it unless it corrected an existing issue or check engine light". My thoughts.

If it runs (ain't broke) then don't fix it (update software).

As an IT guy, I'm sure you know a software update for a 15 year old computer is a bug fix not a feature enhancement. Most bugs will not be encountered by the masses. Still, it would be interesting to see the Release Notes for that software update.

does that make sense?

is it this one?
https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/201765-hope-tsb-04-21-14-worth-3.html

Last edited:

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. I updated my Dodge Charger PCM with my Diablosport Predator tuner. The tuner itself was $200, used. It came with engine tunes to boost performance. I have the same truck, but I have never tuned it before.

OP
OP
Dwilds

Dwilds

Reaction score
Not currently experiencing any issues that are causing a check engine light, but since getting a remanufactured engine put in it does seem to run rough once in a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do I know if mine has the update or not? Do you really have that much difference between the factory program?