FYI Spare tire Mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTB2022

Reaction score
Hello all... went to check air pressure in my spare and found it is mounted with the valve stem up towards the floor resulting in no access. Lowered it and flipped the tire over so it can be reached ant time. Seems like a bad idea to not have access to spare tire air fill. What are the feelings of the group.
Maybe there is a reason I am not aware of......
Thanks

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all... went to check air pressure in my spare and found it is mounted with the valve stem up towards the floor resulting in no access. Lowered it and flipped the tire over so it can be reached ant time. Seems like a bad idea to not have access to spare tire air fill. What are the feelings of the group.
Maybe there is a reason I am not aware of......
Thanks
I did the same thing. FYI, your spare might not be balanced either. Mine wasn't, it is now, but don't know which year Expy you have and when they stopped balancing the spare. First Ford for me so maybe they never have?

OP
OP
MTB2022

MTB2022

Reaction score
I have a 2022 xlt, tow package, 20" wheels, 8 passenger triple black. I didn't see any balance weights.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2022 xlt, tow package, 20" wheels, 8 passenger triple black. I didn't see any balance weights.
Well, at least you know before it matters! Might want to do some searches on Ford lug nuts and decide if you like the idea of trying to change a tire on a cold, wet night with the lug nuts on your vehicle.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added a hose to the valve on the spare and ran it to a location by the bumper. It has a shrader valve built into the hose and a valve cap. Simply remove the cap and check the pressure.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added a hose to the valve on the spare and ran it to a location by the bumper. It has a shrader valve built into the hose and a valve cap. Simply remove the cap and check the pressure.
There you go! Might have to do that myself. Thanks for the idea.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, it is good to exercise the spare tire system up and down. If something were to seize up, I would rather find out in my driveway rather than alongside a shoulderless Highway with no tools. It happened to my sister in law where she needed the spare tire, but it wouldn’t crank down on her suburban. I also keep my spare tire inflated to the maximum pressure on the tire sidewall. I keep a tire gauge in my car and I figure I can always let pressure out when I need to use the spare.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed the valve up situation on my ‘11 with my first flat. Not a big issue for me as I always carry a 12V air pump along with better tire changing tools (sockets, breaker bar, hydraulic jack, etc). Having an extension hose, is not a bad idea though.

Im now thinking about replacing my factory spare with a 20” wheel and 275 Michelin tire matching what is on the truck (assuming it fits in the well). Ill need to measure and confirm it fits, but thinking it should, as OD of the factory spare needs to match the OD of the installed tires, even though the wheel and tire size do not.