Spare Tire Specs 2018 Expedition Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 24712
Bc they are meant to get you straight to a tire shop and not designed to be driven on for long periods of time. Do some of your own research...
That is not the same. The spare under the expo is not a limited use spare. It is a regular fully rated tire. You can absolutely go over 55. There is a 1.6% difference in overall height. Almost negligible. Would I drive across the country, no, just out of principal, but I wouldn’t hesitate putting a few hundred miles on them until I could get it fixed.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s common sense. So you’re telling me you would drive your car across the country with 3 good tires and wheels and one spare? You’d feel comfortable doin 75+ on the interstate knowing your in a spare?
It’s a spare tire, not a “spare” tire!!

tim5055

Reaction score
It’s common sense. So you’re telling me you would drive your car across the country with 3 good tires and wheels and one spare? You’d feel comfortable doin 75+ on the interstate knowing your in a spare?
Yes and yes. Just because you call it a "spare" doesn't mean it's any better or worse than the other three tires on the car. A full size spare is just that, a full size normal tire. Nothing more, nothing less

There is a difference between a full sized spare (normal tire) and a space saver spare (emergency use only).

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J.Ski, you're the only person in this thread with a vehicle that has a "compact" spare tire incorrectly sized for highway speeds. For everyone else here, the 18" spare tire on these vehicles is literally the exact tire/wheel installed from the factory on the XL trim vehicles and the circumferential difference between them and the 20's and 22's is nearly identical. The sidewall difference will slightly change the handling characteristic but you'd have to be driving quite carelessly for it to have any real detrimental effect.

OP
OP
G

Greyfox

Reaction score
That is not the same. The spare under the expo is not a limited use spare. It is a regular fully rated tire. You can absolutely go over 55. There is a 1.6% difference in overall height. Almost negligible. Would I drive across the country, no, just out of principal, but I wouldn’t hesitate putting a few hundred miles on them until I could get it fixed.
edizzle
That's the info I was looking for. It was speed and the ability to drive a hundred or two hundred miles until service. Interested, I called Ford Corporate Service - they had no idea of the tire size nor could they answer my questions regarding speed and distance. Given the change in recent years supplying less than "Exact" spares the manufacturers should be prepared to answer questions like this. I went to a tire site and received a comparison - here it is

Attachments

• Tire Comparison.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
G

Greyfox

Reaction score
edizzle
That's the info I was looking for. It was speed and the ability to drive a hundred or two hundred miles until service. Interested, I called Ford Corporate Service - they had no idea of the tire size nor could they answer my questions regarding speed and distance. Given the change in recent years supplying less than "Exact" spares the manufacturers should be prepared to answer questions like this. I went to a tire site and received a comparison - here it is
Size 1 is the Expedition Platinum Spare Tire - Size 2 is the Expedition Platinum Tires on the vehicle as delivered.Tire Comparison.jpg

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
J.Ski, you're the only person in this thread with a vehicle that has a "compact" spare tire incorrectly sized for highway speeds. For everyone else here, the 18" spare tire on these vehicles is literally the exact tire/wheel installed from the factory on the XL trim vehicles and the circumferential difference between them and the 20's and 22's is nearly identical. The sidewall difference will slightly change the handling characteristic but you'd have to be driving quite carelessly for it to have any real detrimental effect.
I’ve got more of a full sized spare than you all do seeing as how it’s a nitto ridge grappler 35/11.50/20 on another OEM wheel I found that is an exact match to my other four. So now you’re incorrect too.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got more of a full sized spare than you all do seeing as how it’s a nitto ridge grappler 35/11.50/20 on another OEM wheel I found that is an exact match to my other four. So now you’re incorrect too.
I think the assumption was you still had the factory spare under there, not a Nitto.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well we all know what happens when you assume.
That the reaction is wholly up the individual having said assumption aimed at them? Or do you mean people acting like an a$$ or whatever the wives tale is? Either way I think it’s a fairly safe assumption in this case. I wouldn’t have guessed a much larger tire and rim would fit where the factory full-size is stowed. Do you rotate it out along with the other four?