Spare Tire Specs 2018 Expedition Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greyfox

Reaction score
Car arrives at dealership - ordered Feb 9.
Looked under the car at the spare tire - it is 275/65/18
Since the tires on the car are 22 inch and the spare 18 inch, is there are limit or caution when driving before getting the 22 inch repaired? I drive from Virginia to Montana and back each year and find myself in areas without a lot of services. Should this considered a temporary tire and only drive 50 miles etc?
I will not be towing

20180418_095913.jpg

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the outer circumference will be [nearly] identical. So while not ideal (and yea, probably shouldn't tow), should be fine to drive it normally.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Shouldn’t go over 55 with any spare..

tim5055

Reaction score
View attachment 24712
Bc they are meant to get you straight to a tire shop and not designed to be driven on for long periods of time. Do some of your own research...
Is there really a compact spare under there? Everything I read says its a full size spare under there which negates the caution for a compact spare.

Last edited:

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there really a compact spare under there? Everything I read says its a full size spare under there which negates the caution for a compact spare.
Agreed. That quote is specifically for a "Temporary / Compact Spare" tire. Expy has a full sized spare, it's just a 18" rim instead of a 22". So bigger side wall = probably more lateral movement potential = slightly weird handling. So would still keep it in the category of "only use as long as absolutely necessary", but should still drive normally.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
It specifically states “temporary.” You guys planning on running the full size spare all the time on your $80,000 wagons? My post is valid. Don’t wanna use caution? Thts fine. I look forward to seeing your crushed vehicle pics posted by @Flexpedition

tim5055

Reaction score
It specifically states “temporary.” You guys planning on running the full size spare all the time on your $80,000 wagons? My post is valid. Don’t wanna use caution? Thts fine. I look forward to seeing your crushed vehicle pics posted by @Flexpedition
I beg to differ. I have been a fleet manager responsible for hundreds of cars at one time. When possible we purchased full size spare tires rather than space savers. A full size spare is not a “temporary” tire. It's the real thing, rated for mileage and speed like all the other on the vehicle.

Your statement "It specifically states “temporary.” ". Is that from the Expedition owners manual or just from the tirerack.com (a place selling tires) web site?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
It’s common sense. So you’re telling me you would drive your car across the country with 3 good tires and wheels and one spare? You’d feel comfortable doin 75+ on the interstate knowing your in a spare?