Spark Plug Coil Boots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djrainer

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Brown and Black Boots are interchangeable? I have a 2007 Expy and I'm almost sure they currently have the Black Boots. I have the same mis problem many others have or had here on this forum. If I end up having to replace the boots (recommended), I'd like to go with the Brown as everything I've read favors the Brown over the Black. Thanks for a lot of good reading on this forum. How did we ever live without the internet in those good ole days......... Don

Experez

Reaction score
Boots are the same they are just diff color to identify later built engines, for the correct use of spark plugs, brown boots mean later built engine, which means spark plugs are the new design (don't break) is just an easy way to identify what kind of spark plugs u have when u go to the parts house!!!

OP
OP
D

djrainer

Reaction score
Boot Color

Ok, I may be over-thinking this but since the new engine design came out sometime during the 2008 production cycle, everything from 2003 to 2007 is definitely "Old" design and 2009 forward is "New" design and 2008 models will have a mixture of "Old" and "New" designed vehicles. I have a 2007 which means I have the Black Boots and I did verify that. The previous answer to my question was that the Boots (Black and Brown) are interchangeable but the Spark Plug are actually different for the "Old" and "New" engine design. So I guess what I'm asking now is, the Spark Plug I'm sure must go with the Engine Design and not the Boot color so if I change my Black Boots to Brown, will the next owner mis-interperute that color boot and possibly put in the wrong plugs on the next change. If the Brown Boots will work for either plug, that I guess that's all I would need to know. This isnt the kind of thing one would want to get wrong and assume since being wrong could have devistating effects on the engine as well as the pocketbook.... Thanks, Don

Experez

Reaction score
The new owner could buy the wrong spark plugs, but they are not interchangeable , that means second trip to auto parts store!!! They would not fit, new design. Are a one piece plug just like any other plug, old design like yours are two piece design prompt to breaking off in head. Hope this helps!

nubia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I understand they just changed the two piece to a one piece plug. The new one piece plug fits /replaced the two piece plugs which tend to break when replacing. So they are interchangeable. The brown boot just helps signify the part chance in the two piece flaw. So If you have the brown boot you have the one piece plug which was the replacement plug to correct their horrible design flaw.... Please correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
What I'm getting from this is that the coil packs can be swapped out...but, the spark plugs can't...the newer plug style will not work on the 2 piece head...

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
I was experiencing a few misses and hesitation at speed but as soon as I swapped in new autolite ht15's, the misses and hesitation disappeared...I would have changed coil packs if I still had any issues..

Rigpig

Reaction score
What I'm getting from this is that the coil packs can be swapped out...but, the spark plugs can't...the newer plug style will not work on the 2 piece head...
The spark plug is two-piece, a terrible design prone to breakage. SP-507 is the Motorcraft number for the '07-08 Expys (black boots) and the SP-515 supersedes the SP-507 and is a one-piece plug. The SP-509 are for the '08-up 5.4 (brown boots) and will not fit older models. The boots will interchange, but as others noted, it's only a difference in color and will confuse others working on that engine in the future.

Luis Gomez

Reaction score
RigPig thanks for the info I was hesitant to do my spark park replacement due to the breaking of the plugs. which I would never attempt on my 2007 expy but on my 2010 expy I may just give it go.