Spark Plug Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had this issue with their Expy. I have an 07 Expedition Limited with 72,000 miles. Had my nephew change the plugs for me. He was able to replace all plugs except for cylinder #4. He tells me that the plug is loose and not biting any of the threads in the cylinder head, but will not come out of the sleeve.

I've been looking online, but have not seen anything documenting this happening.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

OP
OP

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it common for the plugs to break and the plug itself stays intact? Three of the plugs broke and we used the lisel tool to remove them. Just #4 that doesn't want to play nice.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typically, it's the lower electrode shell that breaks off these plugs. If it hasn't broken off, one option is to try and break it so you can use the Lisle tool to remove it. I have never personally had to go that route and take no responsibility if it goes awry, but others on various Ford forums have posted that they had success that way. Another possibility is that someone might have cross-threaded it, but if you're able to tighten it back down that's unlikely.

OP
OP

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typically, it's the lower electrode shell that breaks off these plugs. If it hasn't broken off, one option is to try and break it so you can use the Lisle tool to remove it. I have never personally had to go that route and take no responsibility if it goes awry, but others on various Ford forums have posted that they had success that way. Another possibility is that someone might have cross-threaded it, but if you're able to tighten it back down that's unlikely.

You nailed it! The plug broke, but the electrode was somewhat holding it together. It was a pain in the butt... but we got it done. Not a pretty sound when a few pieces of porcelain find their way into the cylinder. Hate doing a tune-up in this manner, but have to research and decide what coils I'm going to go with.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do your self a favor. Test your coils, replace only ones that fail test or threw a code . Spend the money and buy a Ford coil from dealer, if it doesn't come with new boot, I think it does . Buy boot Also. I know this sounds crazy but 80 percent of the aftermarket coils don't work. Their are tests online how to test your old ones with an ohm meter. The other brand that works about as good as oem Ford is Standard. Just hate to see you have the problems that a lot of our readers have. Theirs a reason why Ford coils are $80.00 each, they work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I definitely appreciate the heads up. Coming from a 95 F150 with a 302, these motors are a different beast to deal with.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally different, I've had 5 302 Ford engines in last 30 years, 3 mustangs, 2 Lincoln's. Never had one stripped plug, not one broken plug, no miss fires, no spark plugs that wanted to fly! Not even one failing coil. I did replace the ignition module box on my 82. Not bad for 5 cars and 30 years. If I was smart, I'd find a low mile mustang or Lincoln and make it number 6!

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Totally different, I've had 5 302 Ford engines in last 30 years, 3 mustangs, 2 Lincoln's. Never had one stripped plug, not one broken plug, no miss fires, no spark plugs that wanted to fly! Not even one failing coil. I did replace the ignition module box on my 82. Not bad for 5 cars and 30 years. If I was smart, I'd find a low mile mustang or Lincoln and make it number 6!

I have a very nice 90 stang (fox body) 60K miles, always garaged, zero rust.
It has been stroked to 331 and has a supercharger though so it's putting 520+ HP :)
Probably not what your looking for, but if it is....