Spark Plug Removal - Electrodes Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSVRMAN

Reaction score
I’m doing the dreaded spark plug removal. Did the whole soak down and everything. Was able to get the impact to fit on one and of course that one came out.

I am where I am and now its time to go forward. I have my remover (lisle) handy and ready to use.

I had one question that I can’t seem to find in any video or any post mentioning.

5 of my spark plugs have electrodes wire (red circle in picture) still attached.

While using the extractor, which pushes it down and crushes it, lets say the ring of the spark plug breaks or the electrode (wire) goes sideways past it (Blue circle).

Does this happen? Has this happened?

With that small piece of wire Id think it would be very hard to vacuum out unless it stays intact.

Any advice/help is appreciated. I’m going to tear into it again this weekend.

Attachments

• Electrodes.jpg
    Electrodes.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 113
B

bedrck46

I haven't done the 2nd gens but I do tell people that when removing plugs to start to remove and then turn the plug back in and then continue to remove and turn in a little at a time if you encounter any resistance then work the plug out and in etc,

OP
OP
R

RSVRMAN

Reaction score
Thanks,

This is actually a picture of my plugs that are removed. I have 7 broken plugs. I'm more curious about the electrode problem. I can remove the ceramic, but a broken piece of metal worries me.

B

bedrck46

here's a little trick that I have used in the past Take some electrical tape or any very sticky tape and wrap it in the end of a long thin screwdriver or metal rod, But put it sticky side facing outward and then use it as a probe to attach any part that may be down in the Cyl. You may also need a bore scope to see what's in the cyl.

rbizz

Reaction score
It will just break on one side. I did my plug and some came out that way, but the metal piece never broken off.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the tap will only go down into the sleeve so far, and the removal tool will only thread on to that point, so you should be OK. The tap just pushes the electrode down while threading, so if it isn't there, you should have no issues. I had 6 broken ones, but none had the electrode still attached like yours.

OP
OP
R

RSVRMAN

Reaction score
Just posting the followup. I was "thankfully" able to remove all 7 remaining ends this past weekend. Took me almost 8 hours *new COPS as well*, but I was so scared of messing up I took my time.

I previously drew on paper and labeled each location of each spark plug. When I pulled them out I matched the remaining ends to verify the electrodes were still in the core and they all were. I did attach a small hose and taped it to the shop vac to remove any remaining bits that could be left in there.

I did follow the advice of many to put anti-size on the end of the lisle tool, however after 4 spark plugs the ends were starting to show significant wear and it even had a small chip on the first thread. When I attempted the 5th spark plug it stripped out. I had a lump in my throat thinking I just tripped out the casing and would be F'd. So rather than chance it I went down to orileys and bought a 2nd tool. I used the pusher again in that hole, just to make sure and drove the new puller until it I couldn't even turn it anymore. It grabbed and pulled it out. :party28:

I will warranty the stripped tool and just keep both in my toolbox. Theres a lot of these on the road, so I may come by a friend that may need some help.