Spark plug replacement at dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tedstech

Reaction score
i own a 2006 Lincoln Navigator. I had the original spark plugs changed in 2013 (70k) at a Ford dealership. My question is would the new plugs they installed be the redesigned plug that does not break or would they have put the same defective plugs in. At that time I was unaware of the breaking plug issue on these engines and can not locate the paperwork with the part numbers. Thanks for your responses.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would assume they would do the cheapest thing possible, so would think they used the original design 2 piece plugs. Just my $.02

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually I would think the opposite. No dealership, especially Lincoln is going to install a part like a breakable spark plug, especially with all the tsb bulletins and such, saying to install the replacement part. If concerned, go by the dealer, they can print your Repair order, so you can have another copy. The spark plug # should be in the parts section of the invoice.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tedstech

Reaction score
It was a Ford dealership that did th work. I figured it has been to long for the dealership to have that info in the system. I would also assume that they had stopped producing the faulty spark plugs by then and they would only have the new and improved plugs on their parts shelf. I hope I am right lol

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how long info is kept on a computer. Our government or police, can go back 40 years on you. Paper records get transferred over to computer. Try googling your mother or father, or farther than that. Up pops their picture, and everybody involved. Anyhoo, point is don't worry about it, if it comes down to the sparkplugs, you swap them out. Like one of the others said, get an experienced shop, or dealer to do it. Unfortunately these vehicles are not for Joe Shmo at the gas station to wrench on.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All they had in 2013 was the same as original
You'd be surprised how long info is kept on a computer. Our government or police, can go back 40 years on you. Paper records get transferred over to computer. Try googling your mother or father, or farther than that. Up pops their picture, and everybody involved. Anyhoo, point is don't worry about it, if it comes down to the sparkplugs, you swap them out. Like one of the others said, get an experienced shop, or dealer to do it. Unfortunately these vehicles are not for Joe Shmo at the gas station to wrench on.

That's why they were paying all those people in data entry jobs. So the govt could get caught up on old stuff to be at their fingertips.

Dannyboy11222

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They stopped used the breakable two piece design in 09. so you shouldnt have them installed if you changed them prior to 09. If your gonna try to swap the plugs out, take your time as per instructions with the older two piece design, always blow out headers first of any debris.
And use a good penetrating oil...with the engine being as hot as you can get it without getting burned... Start slow, once plug pops, slowly turn until u can't turn by hand, then back off and repeat until u get the plug out, take ur time. Once you do get the plug out, you will be able to tell if dealer installed the newer design.. And then u will know if ur in for the long haul or not!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why warrants can be dug up on you or me 10-20 years later at a routine traffic stop. It's those minimal wage data entry folks. $3.25 an hour in 1980 got you thrown in jail in 2019. And you thought tickets were like jury duty summons, just throw them away!

Plati

Reaction score
It was a Ford dealership that did th work. I figured it has been to long for the dealership to have that info in the system. I would also assume that they had stopped producing the faulty spark plugs by then and they would only have the new and improved plugs on their parts shelf. I hope I am right lol
I keep every receipt for every service action or parts replacement. It not that hard and comes in handy.

But then again I have a record of every dental procedure and tax filing since I was in high school. I'm definitely the exception.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new one piece plug was installed on new vehicles starting sometime in 2008. It is highly likely you have the new plugs if yours were changed in 2013.