Spark plugs and compression.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
is there a proper guide for changing the plugs and coils for these engines? Mine is the 5.4. I read bits of information over the internet here and there which doesn't seem consistent. There is also not much information on youtube about this particular job either. This is my first vehicle and will be my first job changing these plugs and coils, by the way.

I would like to remove as many components as I can to make the job easier, and I would also like to know any precautions I should take, I think I may have read something about plugs cracking for these 2v engines.
I do know I need to over-torque these plugs when replacing them to ensure they never back out. But I'm wondering if any of you master Ford techs can please provide a proper guide in tackling this job. I believe it can be much easier with the proper information, which really seems to be lacking across the internet.

There is no information regarding what components to remove in order to access the rear plugs better, only one source hardly mentions removing the fuel rail for better access to the front 2 plugs.

Another thing I simply cannot find is any information regarding a compression test on this engine. Will I even be able to access the rear sockets with a testing gauge? Is there any special procedure for this?

I kind of need this info as a crutch due to my inexperience.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To my understanding, I will be able to just remove anything as long as I'm careful, I know fuel lines need extra caution, and I know the AC system is pressurized. I would assume the aluminum tubing represents the high-pressure end of the AC system. Im hoping I dont accidentally open the low pressure end, mistaking it for a vacuum line or something, if the low pressure side is not distinguishable.

Really hoping somebody chimes in with a proper guide to all of this.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a youtube vid on this matter. Search again. You do not need to remove the fuel rail. Just use extensions and swivel joints. Also read the F150 forums. They also have the same engine.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, the youtube vids are not thorough. Believe me, I know whats out there. This particular job is not covered well. It would be nice if someone who knows what they're actually doing would make a guide for this.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first read your post I said to myself AVOID THIS ONE.

Not sure where you are getting your information from but some of it is totally WRONG.

The first Gen expy's do not have a problem with plugs breaking. The problem they do have is that they have been known to blow out of the head.
This is caused from improperly torqueing the plugs and on the same note over torqueing the plugs can do more ham than good

There is a reason that Ford recommends certain torque specs and they should not be exceeded by very much And you stating that "I do know I need to over-torque these plugs when replacing them to ensure they never back out." shows your lack of experience.

Changing plugs on the 2000 5.4 is a rather simple but PITA procedure. Before starting that procedure I would suggest that you look at what is needed and proceed slowly. The first 3 plugs on each side are easy to get to. The fuel rail does not need to be removed but it may help to loosen the rail so it can be more flexible.

To use your statement about youtube "Believe me, I know whats out there"

Now believe me the information IS OUT THERE you just need to do a better search and I would suggest you do your searching on THIS FORUM rather than the other places you have been searching.

Again changing plugs may be a PITA but its a simple procedure. And also if you don't know the difference between vacuum lines and Air Conditioner lines I STRONGLY suggest that you let someone that knows the difference do the work I also suggest that you get a copy of the FORD SERVICE MANUAL on DVD available on e-bay and read the information on the procedure.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first read your post I said to myself AVOID THIS ONE.

Not sure where you are getting your information from but some of it is totally WRONG.

The first Gen expy's do not have a problem with plugs breaking. The problem they do have is that they have been known to blow out of the head.
This is caused from improperly torqueing the plugs and on the same note over torqueing the plugs can do more ham than good

There is a reason that Ford recommends certain torque specs and they should not be exceeded by very much And you stating that "I do know I need to over-torque these plugs when replacing them to ensure they never back out." shows your lack of experience.

Changing plugs on the 2000 5.4 is a rather simple but PITA procedure. Before starting that procedure I would suggest that you look at what is needed and proceed slowly. The first 3 plugs on each side are easy to get to. The fuel rail does not need to be removed but it may help to loosen the rail so it can be more flexible.

To use your statement about youtube "Believe me, I know whats out there"

Now believe me the information IS OUT THERE you just need to do a better search and I would suggest you do your searching on THIS FORUM rather than the other places you have been searching.

Again changing plugs may be a PITA but its a simple procedure. And also if you don't know the difference between vacuum lines and Air Conditioner lines I STRONGLY suggest that you let someone that knows the difference do the work I also suggest that you get a copy of the FORD SERVICE MANUAL on DVD available on e-bay and read the information on the procedure.

Once again you musty really trust me when I tell you the information is not out there. The information is not proper.
And you can over-torque the plugs, you are actually supposed to do this to ensure they don't back out. This is actually proper information.
They are supposed to be over-torqued by about 5 ft.lbs. which isn't too much.

What about compression testing the rear cylinders?

Last edited:
OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BELIEVE ME THE INFORMATION IS OUT THERE

check the attached link

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiMptaN873UAhUJaT4KHdsxC70QFghEMAM&url=http://www.f150hub.com/maintenance/4.6-5.4-spark-plug-replacement.html&usg=AFQjCNGh4W3qkTBW4ylWM3bHHj82B9ldWg

AS I stated the problem with the 5.4 2V engine used in the 2000 expy isn't with plugs breaking its from them being under torqued and blowing out of the head.

The breaking of plugs was a problem with the 5.4 3V engine that was used in the 2nd gen Expys

yes, this is good.
and i have seen this page, but the images weren't loading on my last visit!!!
i should save these images in case they go down again.

typically if images are missing, especially on good auto info, i will try to dig them out on internet archive.org
but i couldn't tell any images were missing on this one. there were no image placeholders. it just seemed to be all text, which were describing all these tools and components without any accompanying imagery!

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone ever ran a compression test on the rear cylinders?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do a search on youtube for the following

Important Tips When Replacing Spark Plugs on Ford 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L 2v Engines

photo.jpg
FordTechMakuloco

Believe me the information is out there BUT ONLY IF YOU DO A PROPER SEARCH