Spark Plugs and the Fuel Rail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing my plugs. I've got 6 of the COPs off- #7 and #8 are the only two remaining.

I don't see any other way around it- I've got to remove the fuel rail. The regulator is in the way.

How does it come out? How do you release the fuel lines? Is it similar to releasing the fuel lines on the fuel filter?

And then once the bolts are out, it should come out fairly easily, right?

I'll pick up some extra fuel injector o-rings too.

Help!

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 04 (still a 2V) I just took the rail bolts out and it moved enough for access. Didn't leak a drop.

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
When i change mine i always pull the fuel rail. Just remove the 2 bolts holding the rail down and pull up on it. No need to remove the fuel lines from it, just pulling it off the injectors gives enough room.

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had a 6 and 8" extension with a pivot adapter, didnt have to remove anything

EddieBowser

Reaction score
The Injectors can come up with the fuel rail but sometimes they don't; If they separate you might have to replace the injector o-ring between the injector and the rail.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I went this route on the driver side. The front 3 came up with the fuel rail and the rear stayed in (and connected to the fuel rail). I had enough room to work with it out of the way like that.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just make sure that all the O-rings are in place. If they aren't on top of the injectors they may be still in the fuel rail I would suggest that you remove any from the fuel rail and place them on the injectors as there could be a possibility of one being dislodged during reassembly and causing a leak. It will also make it easier to reinstall the fuel rail.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. I made sure all were still there. The gasket on the electrical connector fell out of several plugs though.

Here's what my plugs looked like. Pretty sure they are factory (174k miles). Gaps were worn to about 0.068".
BBEB48C4-42DD-4037-A057-2EAA5BD02E0D.jpg

Think I've got a valve cover leak.....