Spark Plugs changed 08 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am looking into changing my spark plugs in my 08 expedition. I was wondering with only 40,000 miles is it needed? Also do the 08 have the 2 piece spark plugs? What is a good brand to go with? I have seen Champion ones for $13.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motorcraft is what I would stick with, these 5.4s are finicky motors, a champion plug is a gm plug btw, I have had problems with how my fords have run with champion plugs.

Reconracer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO...overkill at 40,000 miles. I don't think they are due until 100k. Why do you want to swap them; truck acting up?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The reason that the plugs stick (and usually break) is because they are left in too long and carbon builds up at the base of the plug. It actually gets between the threads and cements the plug in place.
It certainly can't hurt to change them out, especially if you plan on keeping the truck for the long haul.
If you're only going to hold on to it for another 20 or 30 k miles, don't worry about it.