Speedometer not working, airbag light on, blower motor running car off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew McHugh

Reaction score
My speedometer stopped working today. The transmission started shifting erratically, the airbag light is now on. I also noticed when I got in the car that the blower motor was running even though the car was off and the keys weren't in the ignition and the fan control worked as well. The service engine light is on and I read the codes, it said, airbag sensor, low voltage, and two codes for the speedometer sensor. I have disconnected my batter and charged it and also open my fuse boxes looking for any moisture but didn't see anything. The only thing that changed is that the blower motor doesn't stay on now. But I don't think I did anything. It truck is a 97 Expedition, with a 5.4L , 4wd, and 185,000 miles. Any suggestions?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have the battery tested at an auto parts store. Fairly common for electrical chaos when the battery is on its way out.

OP
OP
M

Matthew McHugh

Reaction score
The battery was just bought in August. I don't have the codes but I can get them. The speedometer and transmission started working again but the airbag light is still on.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when you first start the expy does the airbag light flash and the go steady on if so count the sequence of the flashes and post them

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like you have an intermittent electrical short somewhere. For starters, locate the vehicle speed sensor and follow its wire all the way to the pcm as best as you can and try wiggling the harness to replicate the problem.

Race4Rahal

Reaction score
My 2000 Expedition had similar problems. Things would turn on even though switch was off and key out of ignition. Would drain battery because blower motor or lights would turn on in middle of night. Radio may or may not work, gauges erratic, total electrical chaos. Turned out to be a water leak in left front area that was draining into the fuse box and shorting things out. may want to check fuse area for corrosion and wetness.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your battery and charging system check out, I would ask does your problems start right after a snow/ rain? You have to fully reseal the windshield on first edition expeditions. I'm speculating here, but the fact that most of your problems go away with time, tells me your Gem module is drying out. If you don't already know, the leaking windshield is a major wet issue on these first edition vehicles. Keep us posted with your results. Oh yeah one last thing, put some die electric grease across the pins of all plugs you remove. Better water sealing, better connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk