Stall or hesitation when stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JEDIDADDYCHRIS

JEDIDADDYCHRIS

Reaction score
Check engine light is back. So is the tach dip when braking. Codes say the mixture is lean on both sides or O2 sensors are bad. Would that cause this??

B

bedrck46

when was the last time you cleaned out the exhaust ports in the throttle body and egr valve

kkirt1

Reaction score
Any resolution? My 2005 is stalling and running rough. It has been in the shop numerous times and lots of parts later still no resolution. Your help would be appreciated.

srs7324

Reaction score
I have replaced every part that can be replaced and I still get a random hesitation with a rolling stop or down shift or up shift in a slow turn.
It acts like it cannot decide what gear it wants to be in and then takes off.

If I stop completely no hesitation.

I have decided to live with it.

02/15/2013 8 New IC369s COPs
02/15/2013 8 New Injectors
02/15/2013 8 New AP103 Platinum Plugs
02/15/2013 New KN Air filter
02/15/2013 Fuel Press Regulator
02/15/2013 Fuel Pump
02/15/2013 New MAF sensor
09/01/2013 New IAC Throttle motor
10/01/2013 Transmission Drain and Fill.
10/01/2013 New EGR / EGR Sensor
11/01/2013 Reset ECU / Throttle cable tightened
11/01/2013 New TPS and cleaned Throttle body.
01/15/2014 New VSS/ABS sensor
01/15/2014 New PCV valve

Checked and or replaced all hoses.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have replaced every part that can be replaced and I still get a random hesitation with a rolling stop or down shift or up shift in a slow turn..

Ever wonder about the KN filter screwing things up? A lot of debate on it fouling the MAF, among other problems.

I have no experience with the reported issues...just asking.

srs7324

Reaction score
The K & N has been in it for years and is still basically new.
New meaning cleaned and oiled recently.

I also swapped out MAF sensors same day and got the same result.

I believe my problem is trans related in some way, because when I get in a hurry I have the hesitation driving thru the same turn or location.

With 175K I am well pleased with the performance and reliability of the 5.4 Windsor.

Also I believe I have and odd ball, because everyone talks about their plastic intake and I have cast aluminum intake with a truck build date of 1/99.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JEDIDADDYCHRIS

JEDIDADDYCHRIS

Reaction score
Since my last post I had to replace the tranny. 300k on the original one isn't too shabby.

Cleaned throttle body and EGR valve, cleaned & oiled the K&N filter. Reset the CPU, then at about 100 miles it threw P0171 and P0174 codes with the same hesitations! The codes mean low fuel on both banks, which means more air is in the mix than gas.

All these things to fix the hesitation are solutions for this same issue, so on we go.

Cleaned the MAF, reset CPU. Back again after 100 miles.

Watched some YouTube videos on this, and have O2 sensors and a fuel filter waiting at my mechanic's for next oil change.

Updates to come.

Last edited:

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long since the last fuel filter change? Did you ever propane or smoke test for vac leaks?

FF and vac leak checks are easy enough to do if they have been ignored to now.