starter motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on a scale of 1-10 (10 being hardest), how hard would you say is changing the starter motor? Any tips?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
2 ?

Not too difficult. Hardest part I remember is getting the bolt on top. Believe I just used long extensions. It may be easier with stock manifold....my headers were in the way.

May want to remove inner fender liner (easy) and tire to gain better access.

Last edited:

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i did mine the easy way, it was changed before i bought the truck lol

it does look alittle tight on the top but doesnt look all that bad.

OP
OP
hovocop

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
checked online they are saying only 3 bolts hold in place, I hope this works

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easy. Just use a 6 inch extension with a short 10mm socket. Three bolts holds it in and one 10mm for the main batt cable and a 8mm for the other trigger wire. DO NOT FORGET TO DISCONNECT BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE!!!!!!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Starter on our trucks is pretty easy. Granted, it does help if you can get it up in the air a little bit (like mine with a lift and bigger tires). I just disconnected the battery (A MUST DO!!!!!), undid the cables to the starter, undid the 3 bolts and the starter fell out. When putting back in, the trick I found was to install the bolt for the upper most hole with the starter out in the open, then use the ratchet to keep the bolt in place and then guide the starter/ratchet assembly up into place. From there, you can look on the bottom to get the hole alignment and then start that upper bolt. The rest is pretty obvious.

OP
OP
hovocop

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sweet. Thank you guys......... one more opinion if you dont mind....... My truck starts on the first try most of the time.... but when the truck engine is hot, it takes two or more times....... sometimes, it doesn't catch until 4th or 5th try........ should I try changing starter, or I am I way off base??????

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually just replaced mine a couple months ago, it really wasnt hard at all as long as you have the right tools. Best advice i can give is to take off the wheel and wheel well liner and have some pb blaster (penatrating oil) and a bunch of extensions and swivels...it'll make your life 10x easier. When you say doesnt catch....do you mean the engine just wont fire or the starter wont catch the flywheel?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sweet. Thank you guys......... one more opinion if you dont mind....... My truck starts on the first try most of the time.... but when the truck engine is hot, it takes two or more times....... sometimes, it doesn't catch until 4th or 5th try........ should I try changing starter, or I am I way off base??????

How old is your battery?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
hovocop

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bazttery is brand new, I had all spark plugs changed 6 months ago............. the interesting thing is that it doesnt start when engine is warm, but starts right up when it is cold