Starter will not turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikehenderly

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me. I have a 97 expedition and when i turn the ignition switch to start, all i hear is the starter relay clicking and not the starter solenoid. My door locks lock and unlock automaticly. I thought it was the battery......I had it tested under load and they said it was good. I also checked to see if i had voltage to the starter solenoid when the ignition switch is turned to start..........I have voltage there. I assumed it was the starter so i removed it and had it benched tested and they said it worked.
I am now at a loss and havent tested any thing else. Can any help me or give me some insight on this........thanks

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me. I have a 97 expedition and when i turn the ignition switch to start, all i hear is the starter relay clicking and not the starter solenoid. My door locks lock and unlock automaticly. I thought it was the battery......I had it tested under load and they said it was good. I also checked to see if i had voltage to the starter solenoid when the ignition switch is turned to start..........I have voltage there. I assumed it was the starter so i removed it and had it benched tested and they said it worked.

I am now at a loss and havent tested any thing else. Can any help me or give me some insight on this........thanks

You did not mention where on the starter solenoid or which wire of the 3. Make sure you are testing from ground to terminal.

One large terminal should have 12v+ at all times.

The small wire is from the ignition switch which only has voltage while the key is in crank position. This should activate the solenoid completing the contacts giving 12v + on the load side (other large terminal). But its important to check for voltage drop here as key is turned to crank position. This will determine the condition of the contacts or wires leading up to this point.

The starter solenoid is a very high amperage relay in which the contacts can build up resistance over time due to carbon build up from arcing. Enough resistance from here or elsewhere and you will not have sufficient power to crank starter over.

If voltage drop is indicated then you will have to test multiple points to figure out exactly what point it is coming from.

It can be battery, wires, connectors, grounds, solenoid, etc....

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikehenderly

Reaction score
Thanks toms89 for the info. I have constant 12V at the large terminal and checked for voltage at the solenoid other terminal from ground to terminal. In the crank position i have voltage but i did not check for voltage drop. How do i actually check that. I believe this is the original starter..........16 years old

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks toms89 for the info. I have constant 12V at the large terminal and checked for voltage at the solenoid other terminal from ground to terminal. In the crank position i have voltage but i did not check for voltage drop. How do i actually check that. I believe this is the original starter..........16 years old

You should have appr. 12.5 volts at battery. Voltage drop is basically how much the voltage drops from the base number under load at any point.

If it drops to say 9v you have bad connection or high resistance somewhere. With no crank it should read really low somewhere. That or the starter is shot.

This can be checked at the battery, solenoid hot terminal from the battery, and the load side of the solenoid heading directly into the starter. All should be performed while the key in crank position to test under load.

Depending on where voltage drop is registered will tell you where the bad connection/wire is.

For example if you get 12.5 volts on the B+ terminal on the solenoid but only 6 volts on the starter terminal both while key is in crank position you know the solenoid is bad.

Check the battery, engine and chassis grounds as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikehenderly

Reaction score
Okay toms98, I will check tomorrow if not raining. I forgot to mention, but i also had the battery tested under load and they said it was also good.
I have cleaned the ground on the truck frame really good, is there one on the engine block i am missing?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Okay toms98, I will check tomorrow if not raining. I forgot to mention, but i also had the battery tested under load and they said it was also good.
I have cleaned the ground on the truck frame really good, is there one on the engine block i am missing?

I believe there is one from the body to the rear of the passenger head. Can't recall any others off hand.

Make sure the battery terminals themselves are in good condition.

OP
OP
M

mikehenderly

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the info toms89.........like i said earlier, i had the starter bench tested at canadian tire and they said it was good..................STUPID PEOPLE.............i think they only tested the starter which does work. I did my own bench test and found the solenoid was bad. Put a new starter/solenoid on and it fired right up.
Case Closed
Thanks again,
Mike

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the info toms89.........like i said earlier, i had the starter bench tested at canadian tire and they said it was good..................STUPID PEOPLE.............i think they only tested the starter which does work. I did my own bench test and found the solenoid was bad. Put a new starter/solenoid on and it fired right up.
Case Closed
Thanks again,
Mike

Yeah... you would think they would test it as a unit.

Glad you got it fixed. :)

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now you know why the "United States of America" is changing the name to..."Land of the ********"