starting issues, 1999 4x4 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seansolo

Reaction score
Hi all. The rig won't start. I have plenty of lights, full strength, no clicking sounds like battery. I have new terminals as of 6 months ago. Any ideas? The tow driver said maybe starter and try banging on it? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sean, when you say that it won't start, are you saying that it will not roll the engine or are you saying that the engine will roll, just will not fire? These are two different things.

If the starter is not rolling the engine, onething that I would tell you to try is to get into the truck, hold the key in the START position and then push the gear shift lever down towards PARK (do not pull it towards you). Does the starter move then? If yes, then you have either your shift lever is out of alignment or your tranny position sensor is starting to go. You can get around both of these by simply shifting the truck into NEUTRAL and then attempting to start the truck there.

If you need other ideas, let me know. If I can't fix it, then there is no problem.

OP
OP
S

seansolo

Reaction score
Hey Thermo, yeah, the engine won't even turn over. My father in law had me get in and move the gear selector around and try to start and still nothing. So reading your post, we are probably on the right track huh? If it's the starter, seems to me remembering you can still hear the starter throwing the plunger with the gear out at least? Or is that not always the case? Thanks for the help on this. Money is tight, so going to be out in the driveway after juggling schedules with work and my 1 year old, ugh. Thanks man

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is a starter solenoid on the firewall near the battery make sure it is getting a feed of power when the key is in start. if it is ck to see if it is closing and power is going out to the starter. if it is not getting power to the feed then it is between the sol and the key switch.
A new thought occurred to me- Do you have any kind of aftermarket alarm or remote start? they can disable the starter.

bigmatt207

Reaction score
when you find the solenoid on the firewall touch the two terminals together (quickly) if you hear the starter kick than its not the starter but im not sure if its the solenoid or not. i dont think it is. i had this same problem, same truck, and it ended up being the wire comming from the swich on the steering colum letting the computer know that it was in park.

OP
OP
S

seansolo

Reaction score
thank you guys, this is all great information in helping me close in on the problem. Tested the battery this morning got 9.92 on a meter. Used the same machine to jump start it....nothing. My dad is having a battery shop come out and put a good battery in it and do a diagnostic for $10, i figure decent starting point. I am reading more and more on that selanoid on the firewall, and my father in law is hearing about the switch on the steering column. Thanks again guys. Results to come soon hopefully!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sean, what I would tell you to do is to get a small piece of wire (about 6" in length) and strip both ends of it. Now, access the starter solenoid and remove the plug off of the small terminal on the bottom. Now, using the piece of wire, jumper between the small post and the battery side of the starter solenoid. Does the motor kick over now? If yes, then your problem lies inside the dash with either the ignition switch, the PATS module, or interconnecting wiring. If the motor does not kick over, then you are looking at either a bad solenoid, bad starter, or a bad battery cable. You should hear the starter solenoid click when you use the wire. This is where having a multimeter would be helpful as you can put the multimeter on the starter side of the starter solenoid and when you use the jumper again, the voltage that you see there will tell you a lot. If the multimeter reads roughly 12 VDC, your problem is either the starter or starter cable (you can repeat this test only with the multimeter connected to the starter, 12 VDC would indicate a bad starter, near 0 VDC would be a bad cable). If the meter reads a low voltage, then you have a problem with the starter solenoid or the battery (move the multimeter to the battery side and reperform the check, 12 VDC would prove a bad starter solenoid, love voltage is a bad battery or bad cable). If you get 0 VDC, then you have a very failed starter solenoid.

Hope this gets you taken care of.

Another quick check to see if it is a dash problem or starter problem is turn on your headlights and then attempt to start the truck. If the headlights dim, then you are looking at a starter solenoid, starter, or cable issue. The lights do not dim, then you are most likely looking at a problem in the dash.

OP
OP
S

seansolo

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED. It was the starter solenoid. I had the battery shop come out and got a new battery and tested the system to make sure no shorts. I got a "second" battery, new but had a visual blem on it for $40, not bad. I went and bought the starter solenoid as MANY reviews were talking about this. I jumped across the terminals with a screwdriver and heard the starter kick. My dad brought over a meter and we tested according to instructions. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!! once again, forums are amazing, and more importantly
FORD OWNERS are the best. Thank again guys. This was so helpful and an easy and about an $80 repair vs. hundreds at the shop. After getting news that i didn't get a job promotion etc, this made my week! Can't say enough thanks to everyone!!!

saltlifemike

Reaction score
i like to piggy back off this thread..... same problems

mine is wierd. I was disableing my autolocks on my 98 and after they were set my expedition would not start. i bypassed my starter solenoid and started up fine. checked the voltage from the key switch wire to solenoid and showing 4 volts and no 12v when turned over...... i got it home and took the starter solenoid out of my 94 bronco and the key switch out of my 94 also and put it in the expedition and same thing, nothing...... i put the expedtion key switch in my bronco and fired right up. so now im stummed...... could the autolock disable my starting........please help this is the wifes car.....

oh i checked all the fuses inside and out even the mega fuses......

saltlifemike

Reaction score
LMAO i am such a idoit.......it was fuse 21 under the dash. i was pulling spare fuses for a bad trailer wiring and robbed the wrong fuse.. the truck was running at the time so i didnt notice till i shut it off two hours later...... i was pulling hair outta my bald head........ well cased closed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire