steering feels shifty, super sensative, at high speed: especially on bumpy roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GNUT

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2012 Expedition Limited 2wd. It drives great when driving slowly. Drives great when driving fast on a smooth, predictable surface. Shortly after purchase, I drove on the interstate for several hundred miles. Anytime I got into an area with rutted or slightly irregular road surface the wheel wants to pull and jerk around. I find it hard to control, even with two hands on the wheel at this moment.

Saying this, this is on interstate areas that I've been driving on for years. My last vehicle I sold to buy this one was a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer 2wd and it never had this issue; of course it was hydraulic steering while I've since found this new one is electronic steering: EPAS.

Any thoughts anyone? Any way to adjust or tighten this steering type?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm....it sounds like your power steering speed sensor may not be performing as designed. The steering is supposed to get 'heavier' as you increase your speed to alleviate the exact feeling you're experiencing (among other safety reasons).

I don't know how to check to see if its operating.

Also, big wide tires seem to wander a bit more than narrower tires.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive seen other cars with this issue still not 100% sure what exactly it was. Had some suspicions about traction nannies overcompensating for mild or nonexistent losses of traction, then proceeding to fade the brake(s) on the affected wheel(s) during long runs at speed, making it progressively worse... or, possibly, a borderline sticky caliper initiating this process and then traction control turning it into a feedback loop -type escalating issue

Does yours pull off centre more, or get stuck in ruts and try to follow them against your steering input??

OP
OP
GNUT

GNUT

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

It sort of follows the ruts. When I correct for it, it's almost as if the steering over corrects. At slow speeds it's almost non-noticable, unless I drive down a really bumpy / irregular road. Then the steering is back and forth. When I correct, it just seems like if over reacts. At high speed it really stinks because when it occurs, I feel like I could very easily loose control. I have to have both hands "securely" on the wheel and full focus on maintaining a straight line. When I get in these situations I think to myself that people behind me probably think I'm texting and driving or not paying attention to the road.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toe out of alignment / messed up tie rod perhaps?

Seems like if you had 3 wheels "cooperating" and 1 "pulling away", greater speeds would aggravate the condition, and hitting road irregularities could "switch" which wheel was pointed in the direction of movement, and which one you had to fight

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sensor feedback is my thought.
I had an end link snap in half a while back, fatigue, and caused a similar problem. replaced both with Moog end links.
let us know what you discover.

OP
OP
GNUT

GNUT

Reaction score
I'll keep you informed. I lifted the front end off the ground yesterday. Checked wheel bearings, all ball joints, and pivot points. All looked okay. I also did a visual inspection of the EPAS unit. Not that is means anything but it looked okay. After much research I believe I'm going to try replacing the steering torque and position sensor that's located behind the steering wheel.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2012 Expedition Limited 2wd. It drives great when driving slowly. Drives great when driving fast on a smooth, predictable surface. Shortly after purchase, I drove on the interstate for several hundred miles. Anytime I got into an area with rutted or slightly irregular road surface the wheel wants to pull and jerk around. I find it hard to control, even with two hands on the wheel at this moment.

Saying this, this is on interstate areas that I've been driving on for years. My last vehicle I sold to buy this one was a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer 2wd and it never had this issue; of course it was hydraulic steering while I've since found this new one is electronic steering: EPAS.

Any thoughts anyone? Any way to adjust or tighten this steering type?
The things that I would check would be loose components, ball joints, tie-rod ends, and the alignment. I'm not sure if the two-wheel drive version uses a steering dampener but if it does, I would check it to make sure that is hasn't worn out. I would also check for play in the steering wheel. Any of these individually or in combination could cause the problem you describe.

Calman2k

Reaction score
I'll keep you informed. I lifted the front end off the ground yesterday. Checked wheel bearings, all ball joints, and pivot points. All looked okay. I also did a visual inspection of the EPAS unit. Not that is means anything but it looked okay. After much research I believe I'm going to try replacing the steering torque and position sensor that's located behind the steering wheel.

Yes, please let us know. I have a 16 EL XLT I bought t over the summer and took to Denver from SoCal. Seemed a little loose on the freeway, glad to hear it wasn't just me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712