Steering gear box removal 5.4 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chisan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best way to get the pitman arm off the drag link. Its a 2000 expy eddiebaur 4x4, 5.4L. I amcrammed for space, thought about a pickle for but dont want to destroy the boot. Icant remove the arm fromthe gear box because i have no room for the seperator. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 72

upurz1

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best way to get the pitman arm off the drag link. Its a 2000 expy eddiebaur 4x4, 5.4L. I amcrammed for space, thought about a pickle for but dont want to destroy the boot. Icant remove the arm fromthe gear box because i have no room for the seperator. Thanks in advance.

2002 lincoln navigator 5.4l 4x2
I also have recently replaced the gear box and had trouble taking it off as well. It is on there really good. I ended up tearing the boot and replacing the pitman arm as well.

I ended up using a pickle fork and resting the hammering end on the pitman arm bolt and nut as a leverage point And using a 6 pound mallet and waking at it till it poped.

Attachments

• 20150309_114217.jpg
    20150309_114217.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20150310_142449.jpg
    20150310_142449.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
2002 lincoln navigator 5.4l 4x2
I also have recently replaced the gear box and had trouble taking it off as well. It is on there really good. I ended up tearing the boot and replacing the pitman arm as well.

I ended up using a pickle fork and resting the hammering end on the pitman arm bolt and nut as a leverage point And using a 6 pound mallet and waking at it till it poped.

Yea i didnt want to use the pickle fork because of the boot, but i did get my pitman arm puller on and i have be turning in until the hooks end start bending around the pitman arm. several shots of pb blaster and it still wont come loose but my puller is bending....smh

OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
I used a torch, pb blaster banging on it with my mini sledge. bent my pitman puller. tried to get the pitman arm off the drag link, but that was a pain and it didnt come off even tho i used a tie rod puller...it started to bend. I a leaving the pitman arm puller on and torqued really tight and see if the constant pressure would help any.

upurz1

Reaction score
I used a torch, pb blaster banging on it with my mini sledge. bent my pitman puller. tried to get the pitman arm off the drag link, but that was a pain and it didnt come off even tho i used a tie rod puller...it started to bend. I a leaving the pitman arm puller on and torqued really tight and see if the constant pressure would help any.

I tried several types of Pullers, Pitman Arm Puller, LIght Truck Pitman Arm puller, tie rod puller, Neither one worked. my pitman arm puller got bent. and the pitman arm didn't budge . i was so frustrated thats when i used the pickle fork and started waking on it. i believe it was angle that i hit the pickle fork that finally got it off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1