Steering sensitivity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michigan newbie

Reaction score
Just bought a 98 Eddie Bauer with 142,000 miles, 5.4 and 3.73 for towing. I drive a Dodge pick-up at work, but the wife is used to a Geo Prism- it's going to take her awhile to get used to the new size.

Both of us though are a little unnerved by the sensitivity of the steering- very touchy around center, with a very quick turn in. It has a lot less "resistance" in the wheel when turning than we are used to. Also it feels like it requires the same force to turn deeper into the turn as it does to turn out of it. Usually it gets harder to turn the wheel as you turn the wheel more into the turn. This makes for alot of hunting to keep the thing pointed straight down the road. Am I making sense? 2 questions:

1. Is there any way to deaden the power steering around center?
2. Is this "feel" typical of the Expedition or can the power steering be tweaked to adjust the feel?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it just something that you get used to.

Of the family cars, it does seem as the Expy does have the more sensitive steering. Keep in mind, though, that it is an 03. I don't know how the previous gen handles.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea its pretty sensative. I'm pretty positive that there is no way to tune it.

You get used to it, now I can drive it super smooth. Its the price for a nice turn radius, which I really like.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, the turning radius is awesome. It really helps when U-turning.

bv15325

Reaction score
Thanks I am experiencing the same issues. I was wondering if it was just my expedition. I guess I'll have to remember that when I'm on the highway.

Any other steering issues anybody knows about?

--Ben

Noobie

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah its pretty sensitive is right ... i noticed on mine it seems to like to go out of alignment sometimes ... unprovoked ...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that adding underdrive pulleys does tone down the steering sensitivity a little.

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by bv15325
really ? how often do you get an alignment?

so far only once but its starting to pull again ...
but out of the 12 months i have had it i would say it has been misaligned 8 ... :(