Stereo compatibility within generation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlwlynn

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2012 Limited Exped. I am pretty happy, but the stereo head unit is lacking a bit. For instance, I would like to see channel, artist, and song on XM without having to hit Text ever time. I believe newer Expeditions have this feature. Is there any chance that a newer head unit would fit and work with my 2012?

Thanks!

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're going to replace it, you can get a lot more for your money by buying aftermarket. Pioneer and a few other companies have wiring harnesses that allow you to keep Sync features, etc. also.

OP
OP
J

jlwlynn

Reaction score
If you're going to replace it, you can get a lot more for your money by buying aftermarket. Pioneer and a few other companies have wiring harnesses that allow you to keep Sync features, etc. also.

Oh yeah? Would they be the same size? Or would you have to get some sort of faceplate? Is this fairly easy to do myself? Any that you would recommend? What kind of cost are we talking about?

Sorry for all the questions! Ha!

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Would they be the same size? Or would you have to get some sort of faceplate? Is this fairly easy to do myself? Any that you would recommend? What kind of cost are we talking about?

Sorry for all the questions! Ha!

Check out crutchfield.com and have a look around. Any double DIN headunit will fit the same or nearly the same as your existing headunit. If you put it in and there's a tiny bit of extra space around it, you can purchase a plastic trim piece to go around it, but you're not likely to need it. Crutchfield will also list the part numbers for harnesses and so forth that you need in order to keep Sync, steering wheel controls, etc. Here is one model I was looking at for myself. You can purchase a GPS module for it if you want to add Nav as well. If you buy from them, they will also send you detailed instructions on hooking it all up. You can save a bit by taking those part numbers over to Amazon and buying from there, though you won't get the instructions. In you buy from Amazon, you're probably looking at < $450 for the headunit and all harnesses. Add another $300 for the AVIC-U260 Nav unit if you want Navigation.

If you buy the harnesses, wiring is basically just plug and play. Connect harnesses to new headunit. Disconnect old unit from vehicle. Connect new unit to vehicle.

Getting the center of the dash out is actually surprisingly easy in the 3rd gen Expeditions. Pick up a set of plastic pry tools like this one and make sure you have a couple screwdrivers handy. I would also suggest some masking tape and a Sharpie so you can mark the plugs that are not color coded. That's about all you will need. Here's a video that shows how to pry out the center piece. The video is mostly spot on, but note that at the bottom of the panel it does not simply pop away like the top does. There are 2 clips holding the bottom of the panel on. Once you pry out the top 3/4 (which comes out really easy), you can peer in there and you will see the metal clips. They pop out pretty easily also, but you need to insert the pry tool and little further in and exert a little more force. Once that panel is detached, just unplug everything; make sure you mark the plugs that are not color-coded so you know where they go later. The stereo is simply screwed into a metal mounting frame. You should be able to re-use this frame for your new unit. On some of my previous vehicles, I have had to use something like this to attach the frame to the new unit (if the hoes don't line out), but I haven't had to do that in over a decade.

Even if you decide not to dive into installing it yourself, you can take the unit and wiring harnesses down to any local stereo shop to have them installed. The Expy is really easy so don't let them take you for a ride on install costs.

OP
OP
J

jlwlynn

Reaction score
Check out crutchfield.com and have a look around. Any double DIN headunit will fit the same or nearly the same as your existing headunit. If you put it in and there's a tiny bit of extra space around it, you can purchase a plastic trim piece to go around it, but you're not likely to need it. Crutchfield will also list the part numbers for harnesses and so forth that you need in order to keep Sync, steering wheel controls, etc. Here is one model I was looking at for myself. You can purchase a GPS module for it if you want to add Nav as well. If you buy from them, they will also send you detailed instructions on hooking it all up. You can save a bit by taking those part numbers over to Amazon and buying from there, though you won't get the instructions. In you buy from Amazon, you're probably looking at < $450 for the headunit and all harnesses. Add another $300 for the AVIC-U260 Nav unit if you want Navigation.

If you buy the harnesses, wiring is basically just plug and play. Connect harnesses to new headunit. Disconnect old unit from vehicle. Connect new unit to vehicle.

Getting the center of the dash out is actually surprisingly easy in the 3rd gen Expeditions. Pick up a set of plastic pry tools like this one and make sure you have a couple screwdrivers handy. I would also suggest some masking tape and a Sharpie so you can mark the plugs that are not color coded. That's about all you will need. Here's a video that shows how to pry out the center piece. The video is mostly spot on, but note that at the bottom of the panel it does not simply pop away like the top does. There are 2 clips holding the bottom of the panel on. Once you pry out the top 3/4 (which comes out really easy), you can peer in there and you will see the metal clips. They pop out pretty easily also, but you need to insert the pry tool and little further in and exert a little more force. Once that panel is detached, just unplug everything; make sure you mark the plugs that are not color-coded so you know where they go later. The stereo is simply screwed into a metal mounting frame. You should be able to re-use this frame for your new unit. On some of my previous vehicles, I have had to use something like this to attach the frame to the new unit (if the hoes don't line out), but I haven't had to do that in over a decade.

Even if you decide not to dive into installing it yourself, you can take the unit and wiring harnesses down to any local stereo shop to have them installed. The Expy is really easy so don't let them take you for a ride on install costs.

Thanks so much! I actually inquired at crutchfield about the Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS or Kenwood DDX672BH but was told that I would lose functionality with the Pioneer and that the Kenwood would be a better fit. Specifically, that I would lose factory sync, factory Bluetooth, and factory aux inputs with the pioneer.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's going to be the case for any aftermarket unit u put in...u will need harnesses to maintain those functions and I believe u would lose sync altogether

OP
OP
J

jlwlynn

Reaction score
that's going to be the case for any aftermarket unit u put in...u will need harnesses to maintain those functions and I believe u would lose sync altogether

Not from what they have told me. Sync should be maintained (as well as the other functions I mentioned) with the Kenwood.

ddubbs420

Reaction score
I have a 2007 EL. I want to put in a new radio, nav, rear camera set up and was wondering if changing out the factory radio effects anything computer wise. Like Will the oil resets or system status checks disappear? I swapped out the factory unit in an impala and loss all the reset features for the oil and air filter change and stuff like that so I always had a change engine oil light on and was trying to avoid that in this expo. Thanks for any info