Store bought Self Fuel Cleaners or Service Department Fuel Cleaning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your truck?

I'm not sure.

Hardly twice the cost afaik

$22 each for cleaned and tested. New Motorcraft go for $35-$42 each. So maybe not technically twice, but close enough.

And clearly I spent more by getting them cleaned. But now I know for sure mine are flowing as they are designed. A brand new one out of the box should as well- but not always.

chart75

Reaction score
$179, for mechanic to spray the throttle body and pour a bottle into the tank? You can do that yourself, for $20. They make a kit, that hooks up to fuel rail. The motor runs on cleaner for about twenty minutes. Modern engines, hardly see clogged fuel injectors. The spray pattern can get reduced. Running a good fuel treatment will usually help. Injectors can be re-built. There are kits available. The one I saw, had new filters. Apparently, each injector, has a filter.

Looks like rebuild kits run about $20. Has anyone replaced their injectors with aftermarket parts? Curious if they worked well, and if so, did they last?

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
My experience with fuel additives has been decent. But I usually add more than or at least the max amount called for. I try to run the vehicle hard after adding or spend some time on the interstate to get some good flow through the system. Usually I have noticed worse gas mileage on that tank of gas and maybe the next but it usually gets better a tank or two later.
I have tried many brands. I don't know that I have had any better or worse results with any particular one. Generic to Seafoam. From my years in manufacturing, they all probably come from the same manufacturing plant with just a tweak in the formula and a different bottle.
On my car (99 GT some motor work and a Procharger), I took the injectors out and took to a local Mustang guy to be cleaned and flow tested. (He had bought a flow system from a closed shop and did this process for enthusiasts.) The before and after was different in the numbers and one was out of the variation limit. Luckily he had one there that was in the limit and we just traded out. It has been some years since I did this. I am not sure if I gained much from this but I seem to remember it running a little smoother.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had great success with Seafoam. Can in the tank, half a can through the vacuum line to clean the intake/valves and half a can in the oil.

Stuff works great

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Lucas or Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner about every 6 months.
also change the fuel filter yearly.
++ on doing it yourself if you're so inclined.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani