strange occurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

M1757

Reaction score
Tested the alternator three times, it's perfect. The battery was pretty shot so I got a new one. Cables are all in good shape so guess I'll go over the truck real good and check every little thing.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you are in a salt environment during winter, corrosion is a big problem with electrical wiring if the salt water gets past the insulator. How do you know that your cables are in good shape - just on appearance or did you perform a voltage drop test?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is one method I use to check wiring. You can't see the internal wire condition of a cable, so how do you know it isn't corroded inside? This test tells you. Max drop over the entire cable is .5v - From neg post to chassis and from pos post to starter, max is .5v drop (this is from our guidelines at my old job)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-9oZuX6-Pg

You use this procedure on any point in a harness. If you have a bad connection at the alt, this will tell you.
What is your charging voltage on the battery posts when engine is running? Use a dvm for this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

M1757

Reaction score
On the fuse block under the dash I found the number two relay with the prongs burnt and the plastic housing slightly cracked. It's labeled "battery saver relay". It was clicking every few minutes.

B

bedrck46

replace it clean all contact areas and use some dielectric grease on the contact area

B

bedrck46

will have to look into why it is clicking could be the bad contacts or possible other issues keep us posted and if I find any other information I will let you know

can you see if you can get the numbers of the prongs that were burnt they may be on the side or bottom of the relay

OP
OP
M

M1757

Reaction score
There are three portions in a row, the middle one was burnt. Another two prongs were in the opposite direction and the outer most one was burnt. The battery light cane back on for about 5sec then went out.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually there are markings on the bottom of the relay with the number next to the connector or a diagram on one side.
I would expect 30 & 87 to show the overload.