strange occurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bedrck46

pic of the relay

look at the pic and then tell us which number contact were burnt

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

M1757

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, just back from vacation. Yes sir it's number 3 and 4 burnt. The alt was tested three separate times and was good all three is there a chance when the alt is back on the veh there is more of a load on it then a test machine is able to put on it and possibly the alt is actually bad?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suspect that is a 15 or 20 amp micro relay. The alternator puts out way more than what the relay is rated for.
Connections at the battery and alternator should be checked for voltage drop. I would be concerned as to what is making the battery saver relay stay on for so long. You could also test the circuit to see how much load is on it when everything is "off".
You can also upgrade the amp rating of the relay to 30 amp without harming the electrical - just keep the same fuse.

Found with a google search:
http://www.tcdistributing.net/microrelay.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

M1757

Reaction score
Sonofabitch if the alternator wasn't bad. My son ran out and bought a meter and it was shot, put a brand new one on and my baby is back to 100%. I guess the testing machine at advanced auto was bad or unable to put enough load on the old one to get a proper reading. Thank you again everyone for all your help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. If there are bad connections an alternator can test both good or bad depending on the state of the connection. That is one of the hardest things to chase - find the problem when the test equipment says there is nothing wrong.

OP
OP
M

M1757

Reaction score
Yeah I guess it can be. I'm glad it was nothing serious. Truck is a 2001 I can't be upset it needed a new part its a machine things wear out, and its a Ford truck you can't do better in the truck world than a Ford.