Strange power steering leak URGENT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that YOU took the expy to the mechanic and YOU told him all that YOU told to the forum.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that YOU took the expy to the mechanic and YOU told him all that YOU told to the forum.

Yea well I couldn't. The mechanic closed at 3 and I had a long meeting with a client. I said I'd update, so I did. The show ain't over.

(OH, and although I was't there, I did write exactly what I would have told him. I texted the whole thing for my wife to make sure he had full knowledge and I will be telling him again when I go back, personally.)

On Monday, IIIIIIIII am taking it to another mechanic and paying for a full diagnostic. If it's the rack and pinion, I'll be taking it back to the other guy to fix it. Wish I could have done it today, but I had to earn the money that gonna pay for some of the fix.

Anyway, here's a question I have, for you knowledgable fellas. I decided to go back out and see something that I thought was curious to me.

PLEASE DON'T BE MAD AT ME @Bedrck47 but I had to do this in the name of curiosity, since I'd likely be paying to fix it anyway.

So I've established the LEFT side is leaking. BUT I din't realize that I didn't know if it leaked when I turned the wheel to the left. And it doesn't. Does that mean anything?

So the left side ONLY leaks when we turn it to the right. That is the absolute ONLY condition that results in a leak; Turning the wheel all the way to the right.

I appreciate you guys continuing to humor my lack of knowledge and foolish SUV antics! :D

JoeD

Reaction score
JColumbus you're lucky 55Moose isn't around.

Let me sum this up for you.

1) Don't blame your Uncle
2) Why on Gods green earth did you let a tire guy talk you into that? Was he to lazy to pop the wheel off? If the front was off the ground you could have avoided this without running the engine while he "trimmed"
3) If the seals on the rack are blown, it's on you
4) Chalk it up as an expensive mistake

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
JColumbus you're lucky 55Moose isn't around.

Let me sum this up for you.

1) Don't blame your Uncle
2) Why on Gods green earth did you let a tire guy talk you into that? Was he to lazy to pop the wheel off? If the front was off the ground you could have avoided this without running the engine while he "trimmed"
3) If the seals on the rack are blown, it's on you
4) Chalk it up as an expensive mistake

I don't mind letter lashings.

I am not blaming my uncle. I blamed the mechanic who cleared it and fixed what "needed fix'n".

I never thought 20 seconds too far would break something. I've done that to my other cars and nothing broke. It'd concern me if that was a common occurence for people who take sharp U turns. I'm not a suspension mechanic and I know a bit about cars, althogh not a ton, but there's no way in hell this started from a few soconds to shave some plasic. It may have just not been spotted because it took that far a turn to show it. It doesn't leak on the same side, turning to the left though.

Oh, he could have been lasy but I doubt it. It really only took a few seconds to shave that loose little flap. Yea I guess I could have shut it off. I had went around the block and did a quick stop, cause it would pull that flap, in reverse. Anyway, it happenned.

I'm not gonna completely deny it may be on me, but as I explained, it was a few seconds. I'll be damned of that broke something.

And yea, after we see what the mech says tomorrow, this definitely was an expensive mistake. If the mech says it's been like this, then the lesson is to get a second opinion.

Still love the car. Taking an 8 hour trip in it in about an hour. Have some extre PS fluid. I'm gonna need it for all those sharp turn that break stuff.

Thanks.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
Hour outside of San Antonio and absolutely no leaks...

Maybe it's a smaller issue?

Anyway, this thing is AMAAAAAAZING!

If you look close, you can see the wife managed to say "hello" while hiding...

image.jpeg

I DID NOT DRIVE WITH THE HEADLIGHT COVERS ON, AT NIGHT. I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hour outside of San Antonio and absolutely no leaks...

Maybe it's a smaller issue?

Anyway, this thing is AMAAAAAAZING!

If you look close, you can see the wife managed to say "hello" while hiding...

View attachment 19755

I DID NOT DRIVE WITH THE HEADLIGHT COVERS ON, AT NIGHT. I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid.

What is the purpose of the covers?

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 and would never cover the headlight lenses.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the covers?

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 and would never cover the headlight lenses.

Supposedly their good for off road use. I just bought them because my wife wants smoked headlights, but she tends to change her mind. So I looked for a cheap alternative to let her see if she likes it. I wouldn't use these either. Can't use em at night cause it'd be too dark, they are flimsy, I haven't gotten into off road use enough to warrant these, and I simply just don't care.

I've been with friends in some nice off road rigs and never seen these on em, so I'm not sure they are even necessary.

But she's seen em and says she wants the smokes. So now I gotta find some non-tacky, not too expensive, smoked headlights that aren't dark.

So far, I gather she wants a "pretty" SUV that she can also take to the desert, which is good. We camp, shoot, bike and other stuff so I'm glad she doesn't want a pretty little convertible. I'M the one who actually said "let's get a van", after the fourth kid. She looked at me like I was stupid and demanded something like this. So I got it for her.

I like the old, beat up 99' Explorer. I DO like this one and think it does look nice, but I wouldn't keep these floppy, dark things on it. But it's hers and I'll help her do whatever she wants, while trying to keep her within some sort of realistic compromise.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
That's technically true. I pretty much had to ask to get a cheaper alternative to see. She said yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro