Strange power steering leak URGENT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JColumbus

Reaction score
Hello,

Please help me. I am taking my family out of town tomorrow and noticed something odd today. I have only had this Expedition for a month, but I bought it as is, from the used car deal. My uncle works their and had everything worked on and checked out, but it's out of his hands now.

So the reason I have not noticed this, is I never had a reason to hold the steering all the war to one side. The guy at the tire shop had me hold the steering wheel all the way to the right, so he can trim a couple inches of plastic off, for the new wheels.

After about 10 seconds of holding it, fluid just started pouring out. It's a very steady pour. It only does this when I hold the steering all the way to one side. So far, that if I let the wheel go, it lets off a couple of inches.

Other than that there are absolutely no leaks and the power steering does not leak when turning, normally, or strait. It doesn't leak at all when it's just sitting in the driveway. When I tested it again, like the first time, it took ten seconds or so, before it started to leak. Then the reservoir went from middle line of max, to about an inch lower.

So in short, it only leaks when the wheel is held all the way to one side, it isn't just a leak but a stream, it doesn't start right away but after 10 or more seconds, regular driving is perfectly fine, including U turns, no noise, no shaking, and I know for sure it is power steering fluid, just can not pin point where it is coming from.

My hunch, not being a mechanic, is that the pressure from turning it so hard, makes it build up. After a few seconds, maybe there is some fail safe measure that allows for it to pour out, so that tubes don't bust under the pressure.

I can't find anything on the internet that supports my hunch, but I also can't find anything that suggests someone else has a similar issue. I am slated to leave in about 12 hours so I will lose a day if I have to take it to a mechanic.

I'm hoping someone will tell me my hunch is right, but with my luck, I am wrong and probably have a serious problem.

Please help. I want to drive safe, so if someone confirms it's a design to prevent tubes from busting, then I will feel good about driving it down and skip the mechanic.

Thanks for any and all help!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No that isn't part of the design. Don't hold it at the limit. When you hear the pump change it's tune, back off a little.
Hydraulic systems are designed to dump back to the tank, not the ground. All will have a form of pressure release valve to keep pressures within limits. What good is a system without any fluid in it after it leaks all of it out?
If you have a steering box the spindles may have limit screws. If so, check their settings.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with stamp11127

The service manual states the following

CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump can result.

I would suspect that pressure is being built up and leaking past a O Ring

BTW Welcome to the Forum

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Item Part Number Description

1 3A697 Fluid reservoir
2 3691 Supply hose (reservoir-to-pump)
3 3A713 Return hose (cooler-to-reservoir)
4 3A733 Pulley
5 3A764 Power steering pump
6 3504 Steering gear
7 3A131 Tie-rod end
8 3280 Spindle tie-rod
9 3332 Bellows boot
10 3A713 Return line (gear-to-cooler)
11 3D746 Fluid cooler
12 3A719 Pressure line (pump-to-gear)
13 N802768 Clip
14 9F274 Clip
15 3F886 O-ring (2 required)

Power steering.gif

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
Agree with stamp11127

The service manual states the following

CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump can result.

I would suspect that pressure is being built up and leaking past a O Ring

BEW Welcome to the Forum
No that isn't part of the design. Don't hold it at the limit. When you hear the pump change it's tune, back off a little.
Hydraulic systems are designed to dump back to the tank, not the ground. All will have a form of pressure release valve to keep pressures within limits. What good is a system without any fluid in it after it leaks all of it out?
If you have a steering box the spindles may have limit screws. If so, check their settings.

Thank you both. Based on your most educated assumptions, and what you think it most likely is, how much do you think it would cost, and how fast do you think it could be done?

Thanks again.

Oh yea, as far as "CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump can result." I was told to hold it just briefly so the tire guy can cut a couple of inches off of the inside flap. The tires don't rub, but were picking up the inner flaps, in reverse.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just my opinion and based on your post I don't think you have any problem being there are no leaks when the steering is used normally. However I would keep an eye on the fluid level and make sure you carry some extra fluid with you.

When you had the fluid leaking where was it leaking from?
Look at the print and try to give us some idea where.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
Item Part Number Description

1 3A697 Fluid reservoir
2 3691 Supply hose (reservoir-to-pump)
3 3A713 Return hose (cooler-to-reservoir)
4 3A733 Pulley
5 3A764 Power steering pump
6 3504 Steering gear
7 3A131 Tie-rod end
8 3280 Spindle tie-rod
9 3332 Bellows boot
10 3A713 Return line (gear-to-cooler)
11 3D746 Fluid cooler
12 3A719 Pressure line (pump-to-gear)
13 N802768 Clip
14 9F274 Clip
15 3F886 O-ring (2 required)

View attachment 19729

The leak is definitely coming from around where I circled.

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 7.11.30 PM.png

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
Just my opinion and based on your post I don't think you have any problem being there are no leaks when the steering is used normally. However I would keep an eye on the fluid level and make sure you carry some extra fluid with you.

When you had the fluid leaking where was it leaking from?
Look at the print and try to give us some idea where.

I circled right around where is is coming from. At first I thought it was the bottom of the boot part, but it has to be a little higher because even the pulley gets some on it.

But yea, it doesn't leak even ONE drop when I'm not holding it all the way, which I never do. The fluid level is stable.

I should also add that I called a mechanic that day and he said the pressure increases so much when it's all the way over, that there is a bleed off valve that lets the fluid out, in order to keep a hose from blowing, or anything else getting damaged.

So I was feeling pretty good about that, but I am getting increasingly uneasy, as I will be driving my four children and it just doesn't seem right. If Google was full of posts about bleed off valves, I'd be ok, but I can not find anything on intentional dumping of the fluid, in order to release pressure.

Another thing that has kind of already angered my quite a bit, is that if there is a problem, there is no way the dealership didn't catch it. So I imagine, that if there IS a problem, I'm going to go trough hell trying to get them to do the right thing.

I mean hell... It cost an addition 6 hundred bucks to fix things that needed fixing and he swore to me that he got everything and that this would last at least two year before anything major.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can check all of the connection fittings to make sure they are tight.

You can check on rock auto and get an idea of the cost of parts.

Also in the future it is always good to post the year of your expy or to create a signature line with that information Year Model engine 4X2 or 4X4

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only information I could find in the service manual was the WARNING that I posted earlier. However I didn't read the whole section on the power steering system so I can't say if there is some type of relief valve in the system