Strange power steering leak URGENT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
If you can check all of the connection fittings to make sure they are tight.

You can check on rock auto and get an idea of the cost of parts.

Also in the future it is always good to post the year of your expy or to create a signature line with that information Year Model engine 4X2 or 4X4
The only information I could find in the service manual was the WARNING that I posted earlier. However I didn't read the whole section on the power steering system so I can't say if there is some type of relief valve in the system

Oh, sorry about that. I will make sure to do so. It's 04 EB 5.4 4x4.

I think I'm gonna take it to a family owned mechanic near by and get an honest diagnostic. I'm no stranger to having to fix things on cars, but when it's fresh off the lot, I think it's ridiculous that they missed this, if it is indeed a problem.

Any more advice, or thoughts from anyone would be great, but either way, I am going to keep you all posted. If it's something rare or some kind of bleed off valve, hopefully it will help someone else.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That system may not have the limiting bolts (I still work in the big truck world). There are quite a few parts circled in your reply. Which # is leaking?
The mechanic was talking about the pressure relief valve - should still retain the fluid in the system.
Think of the lawsuits Ford would have if people lost the power steering from dumping fluid.
If it is the rack leaking expect $600-800+ range for parts, labor and alignment. If you go that route change the outer tie rods at the same time.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sticking up for the dealer But if the service manual warns about holding the steering against the stops for any period of time I would doubt the dealer would do it. They may run it from stop to stop to check for any problems but they may not hold it at the stops as you did.

When you take it to your mechanic explain to him as you did to us what all was done. Also if you can take a copy of the picture that was posted so he can see the area in question

Good as Gold

Reaction score
Take off the big clamp holding the bellow to the steering rack pull it away from the rack and look if p/s fluid comes out thats your problem. You can use tie raps to secure the bellow back to the steering rack. Hope that helps.....
Best way to find the leak is clean area with brake cleaner have the wife start the truck turn wheel all the way to the left and hold it there while you look with a flash light to see where its leaking then pin point with diagram provided as before for a better diagnosis for the leak.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
That system may not have the limiting bolts (I still work in the big truck world). There are quite a few parts circled in your reply. Which # is leaking?
The mechanic was talking about the pressure relief valve - should still retain the fluid in the system.
Think of the lawsuits Ford would have if people lost the power steering from dumping fluid.
If it is the rack leaking expect $600-800+ range for parts, labor and alignment. If you go that route change the outer tie rods at the same time.

I couldn't pinpoint it cause it was pretty much all over that area and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Yea the mechanic was talking about that, but he stated it would literally just let it out into the world... Haha sounds funny.

If it's that much to fix, I'm not gonna go down without fighting for the dealer to fix it cause I know that's not something that's happened in the couple of weeks I had it. If it's THAT big a deal, they must have known, and decided to hide it with a temporary fix.

Not sticking up for the dealer But if the service manual warns about holding the steering against the stops for any period of time I would doubt the dealer would do it. They may run it from stop to stop to check for any problems but they may not hold it at the stops as you did.

When you take it to your mechanic explain to him as you did to us what all was done. Also if you can take a copy of the picture that was posted so he can see the area in question

I understand and agree, but keep in mind, I did it ONE time for like 30 seconds just so the tire guy could trim the flap. To be hones, I'm glad he had me turn the wheel cause it showed me this. I am absolutely confident it wasn't because of that ONE time.

Other than that, I did do it a second time when I got home, just to double check and see how long it would take before it started to leak. Sure enough it was about 15-20 seconds, but as soon as I told my wife to let go, the leak stopped fast and completely. No leaks in the last couple of days at all, or before those two times. And that's why this is such an odd thing for me.

As far as what the dealer would do, I bought it through my uncle, who is one of their top salesmen. So I'm fortunate enough that he can simply tell me to take it and they will diagnose it and fix it if it's nothing big. If it's a huge problem, I should be out of luck there, but again, if it's that big an issue, it was that way when they sold it and I'm sure they knew. The mechanic went as far as to guarantee me this thing would be trouble for for at least two years. Now I know things will come up, but nothing in the range stamp mentioned.

So I guess I'll find out by this afternoon, and keep you all posted. Thanks for the diagram. I will definitely utilize it.

OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
Take off the big clamp holding the bellow to the steering rack pull it away from the rack and look if p/s fluid comes out thats your problem. You can use tie raps to secure the bellow back to the steering rack. Hope that helps.....
Best way to find the leak is clean area with brake cleaner have the wife start the truck turn wheel all the way to the left and hold it there while you look with a flash light to see where its leaking then pin point with diagram provided as before for a better diagnosis for the leak.

Thank you GaG. I'll do that before we get it looked at. I'm usually good at fixing my cars but my tools got stolen and this problem is so strange, I've never heard of circumstantial leaks like this. My experience for power steering has always been it leaks, or it doesn't.

I love this Expedition BTW guys. Coming from a 99 explorer, we feel like we're flying in a private jet.

Now I get to do what I want with the Explorer and have some fun with it before my daughter claims it.

Thanks again guys! I'll check back for more possible input.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
30 seconds 15-20 seconds In doing some reading I came across the service manual saying no more than 3 to 5 seconds at the stops You above figures are considerable longer. Again let the mechanic that you take it to know all of this information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
30 seconds 15-20 seconds In doing some reading I cam across the service manual saying no more than 3 to 5 seconds at the stops You above figures are considerable longer. Again let the mechanic that you take it to know all of this information.

Yea... Go figure, the only thing I DIDN'T read was the manual. Lesson for the week.

I'll be giving him as much information as possible.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You probably blew the seals on the rack. If they don't leak now they will in the future so plan on a replacement down the road. Since it isn't leaking now just carry extra pwr steering fluid as a precaution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JColumbus

Reaction score
My wife took it to the mechanic today and said he was so sure it was the rack n pinion, that he didn't even look at it...

This mechanic has been wrong before, but I believe if he feels so sure, maybe it is. So I'm gonna get a second opinion on Monday, and if it IS the rack, the first mechanic quoted us exactly 529, which is exactly what he have left after buying the tires. What a coincidence?

Anyway, this is the first time I've bought a car from a dealer, and the last. Every car I owned was cash off of Craigslist and I made sure all was well and never had any issues. The ONE time I break my rule, because my uncle works there, and BAM...

I was guaranteed 2 years with no problems and they swore they fixed all that needed to be fixed. You thin they knew? Or is it possible he just missed it somehow?

Don't break your own rules fellas.