Stuck on the side of the road with transmission leak, any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update 1/18/2023

Heard from ford dealer today. They can not find anything wrong. Days of driving and reviewing ECU data leaves them to believe it was overfilled at the dealership who has been doing my service. The same one who had performed warranty repairs, oil change and a 65k miler service the day before it left us stranded. I have not spoken with that dealership since the day we broke down and on that day they were incredibly defensive as if I were blaming them for my situation. I had called them to see if it were possible to put fluid in it, not blame them for anything.

Idk what I should do next. Pointing fingers will go no where, unfortunately. I lost 3 days of a vacation and have been without a vehicle for over a month.

They are going to clear me to get it tomorrow, I need to find a ride there to pick it up. Since they are a Ford dealership and not Lincoln my paid service for extended pick up and delivery isn’t an option.

I can not wait to be free of this burdensome vehicle and neerdowell company.
A similar thing happened to me. I had a TSB fix done for my transmission slipping into neutral when driving. That required dropping the pan. Fast-forward a couple of months and I towed our travel trailer for the first time since the fix. The trans temps spiked, shifts were not smooth, and fluid sprayed out, speckling the front of the travel trailer. It went back to the Ford dealer and they said it was venting fluid and must have been overfilled when the TSB work was done.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A similar thing happened to me. I had a TSB fix done for my transmission slipping into neutral when driving. That required dropping the pan. Fast-forward a couple of months and I towed our travel trailer for the first time since the fix. The trans temps spiked, shifts were not smooth, and fluid sprayed out, speckling the front of the travel trailer. It went back to the Ford dealer and they said it was venting fluid and must have been overfilled when the TSB work was done.
Honestly, I believe that’s exactly what caused my issue. It’s another example of Ford techs not doing service correctly on my vehicle. It’s just gone on for so long for me that I just didn’t feel comfortable risking another break down with my kids with me. Why they made these transmissions so difficult to fill correctly is a mystery to me. Don’t get me wrong, the full procedure for my Land Cruiser is almost as dumb but that platform is a proven one in literal ear zones so I feel better about driving it over this fragile as eggs Ford tranny.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly, I believe that’s exactly what caused my issue. It’s another example of Ford techs not doing service correctly on my vehicle. It’s just gone on for so long for me that I just didn’t feel comfortable risking another break down with my kids with me. Why they made these transmissions so difficult to fill correctly is a mystery to me. Don’t get me wrong, the full procedure for my Land Cruiser is almost as dumb but that platform is a proven one in literal ear zones so I feel better about driving it over this fragile as eggs Ford tranny.
The Land Cruiser is legendary. If I didn't need a long wheelbase I would have seriously considered one (or possibly a Sequoia). I ordered a Yukon XL back in November. It arrived a few weeks ago, so I traded the Expedition Max in. I know every vehicle has issues, but I'm hoping to have better luck with this one. My Expedition was great for the family, but it had over $10k in warranty repairs and I got tired of taking it to the dealer all the time.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Just read through the whole thread...all I can say is glad you're out of that thing. Like the poster above, I often times wish I didn't need the longer wheelbase. Heck, I probably don't really "need" it to be honest.

A 200 series Land Cruiser is at the top of my list whenever I decide to move on from the Expedition. For fun, any photos of it?

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Land Cruiser is legendary. If I didn't need a long wheelbase I would have seriously considered one (or possibly a Sequoia). I ordered a Yukon XL back in November. It arrived a few weeks ago, so I traded the Expedition Max in. I know every vehicle has issues, but I'm hoping to have better luck with this one. My Expedition was great for the family, but it had over $10k in warranty repairs and I got tired of taking it to the dealer all the time.
Does the Yukon run the GM variant of the 10R80 trans that the expedition has? I’m fairly sure that trans was a joint venture. At least you get a V8, I feel like the never ending quest for better MPG is ruining ICE.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just read through the whole thread...all I can say is glad you're out of that thing. Like the poster above, I often times wish I didn't need the longer wheelbase. Heck, I probably don't really "need" it to be honest.

A 200 series Land Cruiser is at the top of my list whenever I decide to move on from the Expedition. For fun, any photos of it?
Here are a couple from a trip we took this summer. We’ll own this thing until we die and our kids will have to fight over who gets it, this thing is on a whole other level of build quality than the Navigator… it’s like a paper cup versus a bank vault.F860CBC0-B016-45AD-B600-BF1E02C06625.jpeg7B8B8436-F29A-45C6-B878-0B0DCCE2B974.jpeg

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Here are a couple from a trip we took this summer. We’ll own this thing until we die and our kids will have to fight over who gets it, this thing is on a whole other level of build quality than the Navigator… it’s like a paper cup versus a bank vault.View attachment 76847View attachment 76848
Awesome rig, I wish I went that route from the beginning more and more. Oh well

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are a couple from a trip we took this summer. We’ll own this thing until we die and our kids will have to fight over who gets it, this thing is on a whole other level of build quality than the Navigator… it’s like a paper cup versus a bank vault.View attachment 76847View attachment 76848
Love the 200 series. If it had a smidge more cargo room and 2nd row captains, we’d have one. Loved our 80 series and both 100s we had. They are truly built to another level.

OP
OP
Artie

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Love the 200 series. If it had a smidge more cargo room and 2nd row captains, we’d have one. Loved our 80 series and both 100s we had. They are truly built to another level.
We would have bought a second 200 series if not for the size, so we got a sienna to replace the navigator. We could make the 200 work for a daily but it would be tight on those beach trips. The 30 mpg in the sienna is also nice.