Stumped on Roaring Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99dition83

Reaction score
So my 99 A4WD has recently picked up a roaring noise in what sounds like to me the left front. I did the swerve test and when unloading pressure from the left side on a left hand turn the noise will quiet down or go away. When loading the left side on a right turn the noise really doesn't change pitch but is still there. The noise does not start until you hit about 35 and is present from then on upward in speed. I have replaced the hub/bearing assembly twice thinking I may have gotten a bad unit. The noise is still identical to what it has been and hasn't changed at all. I really do not know what it could possibly be. Please help a brotha out!!!

n.shift

Reaction score
So my 99 A4WD has recently picked up a roaring noise in what sounds like to me the left front. I did the swerve test and when unloading pressure from the left side on a left hand turn the noise will quiet down or go away. When loading the left side on a right turn the noise really doesn't change pitch but is still there. The noise does not start until you hit about 35 and is present from then on upward in speed. I have replaced the hub/bearing assembly twice thinking I may have gotten a bad unit. The noise is still identical to what it has been and hasn't changed at all. I really do not know what it could possibly be. Please help a brotha out!!!
did you change both wheel bearing?

OP
OP
99dition83

99dition83

Reaction score
I bought a cheaper one to begin with and changed it out to a Moog. Still same result. The passenger side will be changed this week to see if that changes the noise

n.shift

Reaction score
I bought a cheaper one to begin with and changed it out to a Moog. Still same result. The passenger side will be changed this week to see if that changes the noise
Could it be tire noise? Rotate tires see if that helps. 4x4? Bad axel?

OP
OP
99dition83

99dition83

Reaction score
I know there is some tire noise there. This is for sure a mechanical roar. The axle appears fine from outside inspection. Do they actually make a roaring noise like a bad bearing?

n.shift

Reaction score
I know there is some tire noise there. This is for sure a mechanical roar. The axle appears fine from outside inspection. Do they actually make a roaring noise like a bad bearing?
Not sure about the noise. But def sounds like a bad bearing. Perhaps you changed the wrong side. I always change both sides at same time

01expy4x4

Reaction score
Is there any playing passenger side. Normally if bearing going bad it will have play in it. Could it be possible that it could be coming from the back. Sound can travel the drive line and make it seem as if is is from a different location.

josephbourd

Reaction score

josephbourd

Reaction score
I know you believe it's mechanical , but I was just thinking maybe it could be an exhaust leak at the flange coming off the manifold .