Super Duty Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been spending a bunch of time in the Excursion section over at Ford-Trucks lately. Not because I want an Excursion but because that section seems to be pretty active and those trucks have a few things in common with ours.

I ran across this: using the finned aluminum differential cover for the rear 10.25 Sterling axle. Part number 8C3Z-4033-A. This comes standard on 2008+ Super Duties.

It can be found on Amazon for a touch over $50.

My Expedition leads a pretty tame life and doesn't tow at all or do anything else that would heat up the rear diff much. I just changed my fluid so I'm probably not going to do it (if at all) any time soon.

All you need is a few longer screws to attach it and it should work.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not aware we have a 10.25 rear in our expedition. Gen 1 probably 8.8 (guessing). Then gen2 ford went to 9.75. But that is IRS. The diff cover is huge. It also has mounting holes on it.
Excursions have a solid rear axle.

So I am really doubting it will work.

I put one on my 99 PSD.

CJ

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well a gen 1 Expedition has a solid rear axle and the 10.25 axle was an option (I have it). My front axle is an 8.8 IFS.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well a gen 1 Expedition has a solid rear axle and the 10.25 axle was an option (I have it). My front axle is an 8.8 IFS.

Gen 1 was either 8.? or 9.75. No 10.25s were installed from the factory in the Expedition sorry to disappoint.

Awbarrett1001

Reaction score
Bringing this back real quick, since I cant seem to find the answer I'm looking for. . . . . I'm pretty sure i have the 10.25 rear on my expy. . . not 100% sure, but pretty close to sure. How can i tell. . the shape of the cover? the number of bolts? IF i have it, from what i read above, its not stock then?

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't. Expeditions never came with the 10.25 axle. You have either the 9.75 or 8.8.

Your door tag will have a code. Then google the code.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are 9.75

The f250/350 sterling 10.25/10.5 diesel aluminum diff cover 2010+ Others are stamped steel no factory 9.75 covers are steel. There is no factory aluminum.

Last edited: