Sync4A Updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got the update this morning. Weird thing is I park connected to wifi every day, but it updated over the air in the parking lot at work this morning.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, Waze > Google Maps because you can't snitch on the police locations in Google Maps. :fishing1:
I'm also in IT and have seen a bunch of people with flip phones lol.

You can with Google Maps, but only in the phone app, not on the big screen. The speed traps come up on the big screen but they aren't as accurate because more people use Waze. Since Google owns Waze I wish they would just overlap that info onto both systems.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Functionality its the same but better due to the fact you do not need to pair your phone.
I hate the pairing of my phone since it rings via the Sync, my passengers can see incoming calls, it drains the battery quicker and I am always tethered to it. Also the GPS signal from the roof and the Cell Signal from the Root antenna is better. Especially out of busy areas.

Just my personal opinion but I like stand alone navigation for many reasons.

Whatever works for you. Everyone has a phone, everyone, so Ford put in the built in Navigation (and did a great job) for a reason. Otherwise they could have forced you to use only Phone Sync.
I can definitely understand your reasoning. I turn off the message popups and only receive calls through my car. I can still respond to messages hands-free in Android Auto if I bring up the notifications screen. I also put the phone on the wireless pad so I don't have to be plugged in.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only played a little, but they've changed a number of icons as well. Cleaner.
Controls page is torn up and in different places now. People have mentioned the direct Camera button on top. Trailer items are now a separate App in drop down where you'd normally select Navigation, etc.
I've read there are now Profiles, but haven't investigated yet.
Haven't seen how Settings may have changed. The menu appearance has.
I've also noticed they addressed the issue where CarPlay would occupy two spots in the Card Area. It's easier now to flip between applications without having to scroll.
They've also introduced a Feedback feature where you can apparently record and send a voice message to Ford.

uaee

Reaction score
I can't check for update since the OTA and wifi is disabled from my dealer, I asked them to update my sync 4a with the fdrs but they don't know how to use it

TheVI

Reaction score
So my dealer is saying the only way to do the update is to….make a appointment and bring it in
Any advice is greatly appreciated on this and how to get the update.

leirej

Reaction score
For those who can't enable automatic updates and set a scheduled update time, I followed instructions in this thread:

My 23 timberline didn't have a fleet code but it was in some kind of demo mode. Have the rep check both. Once the representative on the phone removed that code, in less than 30 minutes I was able to set automatic updates and enable a scheduled update in the vehicle.

That being said, I still haven't received the update.

steve3591

Reaction score
Got my up date today My 22 platinum max 2wd max heavy tow
Ordered 1-5-22. Got 11-5-22. Maybe they are up dating in order of build
My problem is I don’t have any settings icon. So I can’t do profiles. Any ideas?

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got my up date today My 22 platinum max 2wd max heavy tow
Ordered 1-5-22. Got 11-5-22. Maybe they are up dating in order of build
My problem is I don’t have any settings icon. So I can’t do profiles. Any ideas?
It should be a round soft button near the top left of the screen. It looks like it has an image of two horizontal sliders (I call them radio buttons). You're not seeing that, @steve3591 ?