Tach ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fat Jack

Reaction score
Being new to the Blue Oval and likeing it, i don't know if this is normal. I'm figgerin that one of y'all do.

1997 1st Gen 4.6 tachometer seems to run high, it will read 2800 when i'm barely moving. Y'all boys ever just know? well this is how i just know it aint correct. When i shut off the motor the tach needle will drop to 800 and hangs there for a few seconds before going to zero. Is this normal? i'm figgerin that there is a reset or calibration that i can do?

Also i read some where on here that it's possable to do a computer reset? benefits? reset procedure? why would i reset the puter in the first place?

now the mushy part: Thanks to everyone on here for the time they have spent not only answering my stupid ?'s but the ?'s of all the rest of the guy and girls out there in the world of astronomical repair shop labor charges.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Jack, from what you are describing, the spring mechanism for the tach is shot. Unfortunately, the fix is getting a new instrument cluster. I would say to verify that the rpms seen by the ecu is correct (have to connect the truck up to a higher end ecu reader, should read about 600you at warm idle). If that is wrong, then you have a problem with the crankshaft position sensor. Otherwise, your problem is the cluster.