Tell me about the 3rd gen Ford Expedition...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2010 Expedition with 65K for $14k. Was a Federal vehicle out of San Diego. I've lived in N.E. Ohio all my life and this vehicle was a SHOCK to me!!! 7 yrs old and I was able to break strut bolts free with a wrench! If you don't mind less creature comforts check out Asia motors and Chicago motors....you can come across so good buys.

Kinda overpriced imho, despite the low mileage....and it already needed struts @ 65k mi?

Uhm and is it really a GOOD thing when the main structural component holding your wheels in place is bolted on kinda loosely??? That shit shoulda been torqued down to like 300-something ftlbs or so iirc..... definitely breaker bar or impact gun territory

chakakan

Reaction score
It didn't need struts....I put in 1.5" spacers to level it out more. In my area that vehicle would be $3k more and would already be starting to rust out.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, let me recommend getting the EL version, especially if you have a family and want extra cargo room.

The air ride vs. not, what does it take to convert to traditional spring? Are the perches the same, or?
There are kits available to do it and I do NOT believe you have to change the perches.

Transmission, the expedition is heavy, how is the transmission cooling?
I know you said you would not be towing with it, but I still recommend a transmission cooler. The (OEM) cooler itself can be found on eBay at a very reasonable price. It does require some additional houses and brackets to install. If you ever have to replace the radiator, there is a heavy duty version that bolts in. If you get AWD/4WD, the CYA step is to change the fluid between 75k-100k.

Is there a MY cut off for new vs. old style heads on the 5.4 like F150? This was june of 2007 IIRC in f150.
According to Wikipedia the date was 10/9/07. Build dates after that should be god.

I'll probably be shopping 07-10 MY as these fall within budget. What are common issues for these trucks with say 80k, 120k, 140k? I know enough to peep the common issues on the 5.4 and overall mechanical issues. Figure whichever one I buy, we will do compression test to make sure motor is healthy, new O2 sensors, new fuel filter and possibly a new pump when the blower is installed, ....
Struts don't last forever. You will have to replace them sometime. (I have always wondered if the Nivomat mechanical self leveling rear struts for the 2015-16 could be swapped in to the older 3rd gen Expeditions.) If you are planning on doing the job yourself, I highly recommend taking the rear struts to a shop that has a heavy duty spring compressor. Those rear springs are HUGE !

IMHO, it is a waste of money to swap O2 sensors. Somewhere along the line, they stopped installing the replaceable inline fuel filter. New pump ? Fuel ? Oil ?

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Trying to keep this topic in one thread, but what seems to be the high end of the longevity on the 3rd gens? I've found an 07 Limited EL for under $5000, but it's got 260,000 miles on it.

The pictures on CL look somewhat promising (the running boards aren't dangling off or rust-stained from the rocker panels like some that I've seen). Overall it looks in really good shape, but that odometer scares me... but then again, it's about half the price of ELs with lower mileage that are in way worse condition.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the hour drive to take a test drive in it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to keep this topic in one thread, but what seems to be the high end of the longevity on the 3rd gens? I've found an 07 Limited EL for under $5000, but it's got 260,000 miles on it.

The pictures on CL look somewhat promising (the running boards aren't dangling off or rust-stained from the rocker panels like some that I've seen). Overall it looks in really good shape, but that odometer scares me... but then again, it's about half the price of ELs with lower mileage that are in way worse condition.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the hour drive to take a test drive in it.

That’s a lot of miles. They can last 300,000 plus but you have to ask yourself if your fine with starting at 260k

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've found an 07 Limited EL for under $5000, but it's got 260,000 miles on it.
You really need to inspect it for rust. That is a big problem with almost any vehicle in the midwest. If it has air suspension, you will be chasing leaks forever.

Then expect the obvious repairs. Brakes front and rear (don't skimp, rebuilt calipers and mounting brackets, hoses, everything !). Struts, front and rear. If the engine has any issues with any valve train component, replace everything (oil pump, chain, guides, tensioners, VCT solenoid and phasers). Those items alone can run you up to more than $2000, depending on how much you do yourself.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
That’s a lot of miles. They can last 300,000 plus but you have to ask yourself if your fine with starting at 260k
I guess the big question would be the cam phaser issue - how prevalent was this as late as 2007? I thought that was more of an 03/04/05 issue, but it's not uncommon on 06+... I'm interested to see more about this particular truck, especially getting into an EL for so cheap... we've got a couple small children, and for some stupid reason, I'm still growing taller and broader at age 26, so our explorer is starting to get super cramped.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the big question would be the cam phaser issue - how prevalent was this as late as 2007? I thought that was more of an 03/04/05 issue, ...
Any high mileage 5.4L that has not had the repair, will likely need it. Like I said, replace ALL valve timing components and the oil pump ! Once the front cover is off, there should be no additional labor charges.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the big question would be the cam phaser issue - how prevalent was this as late as 2007? I thought that was more of an 03/04/05 issue, but it's not uncommon on 06+... I'm interested to see more about this particular truck, especially getting into an EL for so cheap... we've got a couple small children, and for some stupid reason, I'm still growing taller and broader at age 26, so our explorer is starting to get super cramped.

Some of the post 06 engines never see a camphaser issue listen to it when you see it. Listen for a very heavy clicking and ticking.