Test Drive...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worry that the white is too girly (I mean ABSOLUTELY no offense to any guys with white Expis). I just know a lot of women with white SUVs, especially the “pearl” whites (so not flat white) and no men.

My dad drives a very masculine F-250 in....... pearl white;) Your worrying about what other people think too much. If i was to buy one of the two it would be white for me..... and I’m no fruit cake.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dad drives a very masculine F-250 in....... pearl white;) Your worrying about what other people think too much.
I know.

The Platinum White is called “tri-coat”...is it a “better” paint than the others, or is that just a marketing thing?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The white has really grown on me this year. That last picture of the gray Platinum looks like it has a dent in the door below the door handle toward the edge.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know.

The Platinum White is called “tri-coat”...is it a “better” paint than the others, or is that just a marketing thing?
It is a premium paint because of the metallic and there probably are three coats. Base coat, metallic coat, and clear coat.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a premium paint because of the metallic and there probably are three coats. Base coat, metallic coat, and clear coat.
yep its a premium paint like the ruby red clearcoat. mine is tricolor white with caribou lower body color
this is the first white vehicle i have ever owned.. i like the my dark shadow gray f350, Arizona beige my 350, dove grey and red metallic f250, red edge, black 150s.....
but after a year and half, its has grown on me, and looks sharp when its clean and polished up.

the new ones, IMO need a two tone paint to break up the huge slab sides...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know.

Yep as the name indicates its a triple coating. Mine when it was ordered in 07 was red fire metallic color it has the flakes but it isn’t tri coat. They only do the extra coat on skins and doors though, underside of hood, door frames and rocker panels all just get regular paint.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was for sale, the first in the region.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also got to drive a Platinum today, and I can echo everything dlcorbett says...fantastic automobile.

It seems to ride a lot higher than my 2012 F150 XLT 4x4, although I guess it shouldn't. I have never driven an outgoing Expi, so I have no way to compare it to the older model.

Even though it had the 22" wheels, the ride is incredibly smooth, it was noticeably better than my truck and it's 18" wheels.

I cannot say enough about the power. I was a little disappointed when I floored it on the freeway as the tranny took a couple seconds to decide on a gear, but once it did there was plenty of power. But then I switched it into Sport mode and all that changed...it is downright fast and the transmission was extremely responsive. It also held its gears for a loooong time in Sport mode after I took my foot off the gas to get ready for the next punch. From a stop, I ran out of space before it got done powering through gears and it showed no signs of slowing down. And the engine has a nice sound to it as well. I am normally not a fan of the AutoStop, but it really wasn't that noticeable. Also, I was worried all the shifting would drive me nuts what with 10 forward gears, but I saw that I was in 10th before I really even felt 3 shifts...so it shifts very smoothly.

Visibility is good and I didn't feel like I was driving a bunker. The steering wheel is thick and feels great, and the massaging seats do, in fact, massage.

Other than the slight hesitation from the transmission when I floored it in Normal driving mode, I had absolutely nothing to complain about. It is all around fantastic and I will be placing my order for a Max Platinum 4x4 this afternoon.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the grey! But both look spectacular.