The best deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ysgi

Reaction score
Who got the best deal and where?
I'm looking for a new Limited Max Stealth (8 passenger) but it seems that most dealerships go by script when trying to negotiate. Most act like these things have super powers or are lined with gold.

On the Ford Truck forum where I chat about my 2017 F350 Platinum there are tons of posts about dealerships and price. Is that not allowed here?

Let's talk numbers.

Eric

Tmg115

Reaction score
I just got my 2020 for $42500 out the door including tax, title, registration, and window tint. I got $16000 off with dealer discount and Ford rebate. Mine is just an xlt with cloth.

Matthew Abrams

Reaction score
I am afraid mine wouldn't be any good to you as I get D plan pricing, I am interested to see what people get compared to that though. Obviously there are a LOT of variables. Finance, lease, trades (and what type of trades). For instance if you have a newer F-150 to trade you will make out like a bandit right now.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not just about rebates off the vehicle, though, it's the total package for the deal. When I bought mine I got around $15k off the sticker price, but the dealer also offered me about $2k more for my trade than any other dealer I spoke to. So for me, it was a $17k savings for the purchase. It was good enough for me.

OP
OP
Y

ysgi

Reaction score
Leave your trade out of the equation. Someone might have a Ferrari they are trading in and the dealership actually writes a check AND the expy for the Ferrari. But the ACTUAL price of the car before trade and tax is what I'm interested in. I am looking at a MSRP of 80325 and they're only taking off like $6k with the trade allowance, ford credit incentive and dealer discounts. I think that's pretty crappy.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2020 Limited over Labor Day Weekend. It helps to have 3-4 dealers and vehicles to pit against each other. Try to cast your net decently wide, you can always decide to pay a little more to buy closer but my first best offer came from a dealership I probably wouldn't have visited except to make a final inspection and sign papers. Offer somebody invoice minus holdback and see if they'll put it in writing. My guess is once other dealers see that they'll quickly match or beat. Try to get a discount-only price, because some salespeople will try to make that discount all-in-one but your rebates (if any) will travel with you wherever you buy. You may get sweeter trade offers so I would say don't commit to purchase until your trade has been evaluated but you want to get the sales price to a point you're willing to buy first. I ended up with about half the holdback at invoice plus several thousand in rebates on a Expedition that had been on the lot less than 3 weeks. There may have been better deals out there but we liked this color combination too much to pass it up, plus I'd worked with this particular dealer before and knew there wouldn't be any last minute shenanigans. Good luck!

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best times have passed but I just saw a blurb on the local news about used cars being in short supply and nice ones have risen in value by around 30%. That being said, even if you did not want to trade in your vehicle at the dealership, you have the option of having it appraised by Carmax and Carvana--places that buy and sell used vehicles--before you trade in with a dealer. They seem to have a better understanding of what they can turn over quickly and what they might need to send to auction. Chances are you can beat what a dealer will offer by more than enough to cover what you could lose in paying taxes on the full purchase price and not the purchase price less trade in.

Then there's the problem of some new vehicles being in short supply too. Around here, there aren't the usual numbers of higher trim 150s and particularly diesel pickups, and some dealers are holding to sticker price less any factory money. They won't even honor X-Plan on scarce vehicles knowing that someone will come along and pay more.

As far as Expeditions go, right now (again around here) they're not in real short supply. There may be people with growing families who "want" a truck, don't really "need" a truck, and might buy an Expedition for its interior room and cargo space.

Good luck finding a deal.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has been talked extensively on here. Try a search. I got about 13k off sticker back in feb.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
COVID and timing play a lot. Inventory, if I recall correctly, is on the low-ish side, and more people are looking in RVs and tow vehicles, along with lower fuel prices.

I only got $8K off my XLT around May, during the height of COVID, at a local dealership in the middle of nowhere notorious for not dealing. This was the best deal I could get, nationwide, (b/c I search and negotiate, nationwide) and was grateful to get the exact color and options I wanted, all w/o having to travel or get on a plane (we all still knew very little back then about C19).

If you want more off, I recommend going out of you local box (if you have not already). Also, the higher the MSRP, the more off can be safely achieved. It may be hard now depending on output, etc. Don't know...

10% off MSRP is a base level deal with 15% off getting to a good place. If you can rack 20%--and you don't buy it--call me LOL.
That is usually what triggers me on a new (non-specialty vehicle) sale.

Recognize, all these steep rebates devalue our vehicles when it comes time to trade in/sell. Go try to buy a used Porsche vs. a new Mercedes, and you will see what I mean in how so few hold their value.

YMMV