the Ex needs more power!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenJammin74

Reaction score
there is a certain stoplight near my house that is 2 lanes at the light but then immediately turns to 1 lane. I constantly get the ******* in the other lane that wants to get past me before the lane ends. I am tired of being pushed around in the Ex. I have a stock 2002 2wd. It is hampered by the 4.6 (which I chose for better mileage). I don't want or expect rubber shredding power and I also don't want to compromise the reliability of the transmission. I was thinking of maybe underdrive pulleys, electric fan, different rear end gear, maybe an intake or exhaust or both. I love my truck, and I take very good care of it. I want to do my research before I do anything to it. I am sure there are others out there who are frustrated by the lack of HP on the 4.6s. What is a good starting point, and logical progression of performance modifications? What is the stock HP/TQ rating for the 4.6 and actual measured wheel HP/TQ? any help is greatly appreciated.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What gear do you have now?
3:73 is a good all around ratio and would help your truck get into its powerband sooner. Then put a hypertech, diablosport or other programmer on the truck to fix the speedo and give you a better tune. I can also do a chip for you to take care of this stuff. The 4.6 also benefits from a higher shift point at WOT and revised shift points at part throttle. This will make your truck a whole lot more peppy without killing your gas mileage, if you do in town driving alot your mileage will improve with the lower gear....
Matt

OP
OP
B

BenJammin74

Reaction score
Thanks for the good info. I was thinking of doing a set of headers as well, along with true dual exhaust. Those shouldn't hurt mileage too much should they?

Capri331

Reaction score
I am looking into getting an Expedition and have plans of putting at least pullies and a cold air intake on it. I see MAC makes 75mm throttle bodies for them too. If a TB is installed does the chip need tweaked? I am planning to do a few things anyway because I am hoping to use the truck to haul a drag car on an open car trailer and maybe a pop up camper in the future.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The throttle body won't help the low end much, but it would breathe a little better up top. The only consequence is that it may actually make the trans shift points at part throttle too early for the amount of throttle you are getting (correctible with dyno shop software only) but for the most part you won't really notice it. Your money would be better spent on a cat-back exhaust rather than a throttle body.

Just my 2 cents,
Matt

Capri331

Reaction score
If shift points are controlled via thottle position senson input then why would the shift points be lower?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because you are now letting more air into the engine for the same throttle position as before. At WOT it wouldn't be any different. It wouldn't be noticible to most drivers.

Matt