Things to do while the engine is out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopsieze

Reaction score
I'm swapping 4.6 engines in an 03. Using the motor from a wrecked truck with 120,000 miles (no history is known other than was abandoned at a body shop 3 years ago) seems to run strong. Looking for suggestions on things to do while it's out without getting too carried away. This is my first Expedition and don't know how long components typically last. The titled truck is 2wd, parts truck is 4wd and would take opinions on swapping that over as well (I'm leaning towards keeping it 2wd just for mpg but could see 4wd useful at times).

I will obviously replace intake & TB gaskets, spark plugs, check wiring. Thinking rear main seal and pull the exhaust manifolds off and put stainless bolts? Oil filter adapter gasket? Pullies, water pump?

I will check vacuum lines, are there any that should definitely be replaced?

I'm going pull valve covers and inspect for wear. Does anyone know any good resources (with pictures) on what to look for? I'm worried I won't be able to tell if something is worn since I've never really tore into a motor before. Also considering valve stem seals, especially if I go as far as doing timing chains and guides.

Bushings/joints/steering? Not really sure how to check for wear in this dept either.

I would like to keep it pretty cheap and quick but while I'm this far into it I want to make some smart/preventative moves also.

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
Also, I pulled the bad motor out of the 2wd truck this weekend. Does anyone know a simple way to support the transmission so I can roll the truck?

jdecker

Reaction score
Definitely do the exhaust manifold studs. It might be more than you want to do but I would pull the front cover and check the tensioners and guides. Look for cracks in the guides and tensioner arms where the bolt goes through. Check the tensioners themselves for cracks and make sure it doesn't look like the seals have blown out. Also check the tensioner arms for excessive wear. Outside of this area these motors are pretty bullet proof. Another thing to check is the intake where the coolant crossover pipe mounts sometimes they crack

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be a good idea to replace the spark plugs, pull the front cover and replace the plastic timing chain guides at the very least. Water pump too probably. Personally I would replace the manifolds with stainless headers and stainless hardware for sure. If you don't want to spend extra for headers then maybe just replace the original manifolds and use stainless hardware. Also like you said intake and tb gaskets, clean the whole throttle body while it's off, especially the two small EGR ports.

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
Definitely do the exhaust manifold studs. It might be more than you want to do but I would pull the front cover and check the tensioners and guides. Look for cracks in the guides and tensioner arms where the bolt goes through. Check the tensioners themselves for cracks and make sure it doesn't look like the seals have blown out. Also check the tensioner arms for excessive wear. Outside of this area these motors are pretty bullet proof. Another thing to check is the intake where the coolant crossover pipe mounts sometimes they crack
Ok, I'll definitely pull the cover and inspect, I'll probably be back with questions.

It would be a good idea to replace the spark plugs, pull the front cover and replace the plastic timing chain guides at the very least. Water pump too probably. Personally I would replace the manifolds with stainless headers and stainless hardware for sure. If you don't want to spend extra for headers then maybe just replace the original manifolds and use stainless hardware. Also like you said intake and tb gaskets, clean the whole throttle body while it's off, especially the two small EGR ports.
Do you have any suggestions on headers, I'm guessing there aren't any worthwhile headers around $200? I don't know if I want to spend extra money but now would be the time I guess. I could do headers now and cat back exhaust down the road. Any other economical mods I should consider? If I replace pulleys should I consider underdrives? I would put a little money into it but have a hard time knowing when to quit... Honestly it would be fun to have a pepped up motor but I'm really most concerned about economy and having it last a while as a family hauler. If mods really only benefit in the higher rpms I should probably pass... then there's the tune. I'd consider putting $500-$600 into parts that would be easier to do while the motor is out, especially if I'm replacing worn parts.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Headers
Water pump
AC drain spout/ hose
All pvc/ vacuume hoses
Oil adapter gasket
Motor mounts
Spark plugs
Oil pan gasket
Coolant crossover gaskets
Valve cover gaskets

That's a list too look at. Maybe not all need to be replaced but defiantly looked at.

JMHO

CJ

OP
OP
C

chopsieze

Reaction score
While the engine is out clean and repaint the engine bay to make it tidy.
Yeah, planning on a little house cleaning.
Headers
Water pump
AC drain spout/ hose
All pvc/ vacuume hoses
Oil adapter gasket
Motor mounts
Spark plugs
Oil pan gasket
Coolant crossover gaskets
Valve cover gaskets

That's a list too look at. Maybe not all need to be replaced but defiantly looked at.

JMHO

CJ
Thanks CJ, on the motor mounts do I just check the rubber isn't cracked or torn? Good call on the coolant crossover and ac drain, never thought about that. Plan to look at PVC and vacuum, maybe I can find an entire kit.

Any suspension/steering I should attend to?

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly if one was bad you would know.... But yeah big tears or squashed mount.

Good luck!

Dnny44

Reaction score
If you decide to to swap to 4x4 please post how it goes, been thinking about it myself but not entirely sure on the electronics side of things how easy it would be. Even though on my 04 it seems that i would mostly be plug in harnesses and add in 4x4 module.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65