Thinking about getting a newer Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I currently have a 02 XLT with the 4.6L. Thinking about upgrading to maybe a 2nd gen with 5.4L 4x4. Maybe a 05 to 07 or maybe even a 3rd gen 08 or 09. What opinions do people have on the 5.4L 3V motor. I keep seeing reviews to stay away from it due to cam phaser failures and other problems. How is the reliability in these motors and what should I look out for. Should I even bother or look elsewhere like a Tahoe or Suburban with the vortex motor. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
crown vic 5-0 stroker
never look back

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stay away from 05-07, too much of a chance of motor problems. Early 08 on up has been the way to go. Got rid of the 2 piece spark plugs, and they seem to have less phaser problems. As recommended here, fire it up listen for any ticking/clacking, if you hear it walk away. If possible see if the owner has service records. Real important to see oil change intervals every 5,000 miles or so. Also crawl under it and up front, look for rust. When you find a good one, pay a non related shop to do full inspection, including codes checks, and bumper to bumper check. Good luck.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stay away from 05-07, too much of a chance of motor problems. Early 08 on up has been the way to go. Got rid of the 2 piece spark plugs, and they seem to have less phaser problems. As recommended here, fire it up listen for any ticking/clacking, if you hear it walk away. If possible see if the owner has service records. Real important to see oil change intervals every 5,000 miles or so. Also crawl under it and up front, look for rust. When you find a good one, pay a non related shop to do full inspection, including codes checks, and bumper to bumper check. Good luck.

Thanks, I can do a good visual inspection and physical inspection on my own. I have a code reader with live data and know how to read FFD, fuel trims and O2 sensors and past codes. I can check for body rot, bad ball joints, bad leaky seals, heater core problems, fluids and brakes and so on but the engine internals with the cam phasers failing is my biggest fear. I can listen to the motor for the clanking and ticking on cold starts and so on. Just afraid of the unknown., What I can't see. I know it's a gamble but I do love the platform of the Expys.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your all set. If you can get one from dry climate. Your bio just says US, so that can be good or bad. Buying a used car is always a gamble. But seeing records, asking the right questions, and doing what you know, you've got a leg up on most. Good luck, I'm sure we'll see pics of your new big girl soon!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camphasers are always quiet at cold idle. You want to take it for a ride and then listen to it hot, if it clanks then you have an issue. You will know it’s the one when you go through a few and find that one.

A few years back I bought my 07’ because it was the one....Started up and took it for a joyride. No ticks, clunks, clanks...interior looked brand new seats never looked to be sat on. Looked at a few others as well but this one stood out, all you could hear were injectors and it was clean. Also documentation is good, I have all the documents on this truck. Bought it, been good with it since.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'09 and up are good to great, depending on how cheap or not gasoline is in your area.

Avoid the ones with original 2-part plugs (07 and some 08 iirc), never-ever-ever wash your engine bay, and you'll be good.

Older Tahoes are overpriced, cheap Suburbans are all thrashed n trashed Uber vehicles, and newer GM trucks lose a tranny every 90k miles reliably (I knew a few limo guys on their FOURTH transmission!)

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
I've had the same thought for awhile, & even considered another gen-1 4x4(currently have a 2000 4x2)... if I couldn't bring myself to pay the price for a gen-3. I don't really need 4x4 anymore, but I still miss having it.

Part of the problem for me looking at 08 or 09 would be the bells & whistles & improved ride would ruin me looking at another gen-1.

OP
OP
U

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I love the Expy platform because you get a big bang for the buck on used ones. I use my Expy as a second vehicle. I have a new Grand Cherokee and use my Expy for hauling bigger things and commuting to work here and there. I also use it as my fishing gear truck and throw my kayaks in top. It's my all around beat on vehicle even though I keep it immaculate. The GC is my family car and weekend driver. Love having a spare vehicle that i don't worry about getting dinged up. Wife has her own car too but likes the idea of the spare truck. As my 02 starts to age I would like to upgrade but don't want a beat up one. Really leaning towards finding a really clean 08 to 10.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Keep in mind when you listen to the engine that the cam phasers, guides and chains may not be rattling right now but....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65