Thinking about getting a newer Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
does the cam phaser lock-out actually work?
anyone with any experience with these?

concerned about fuel economy and/or performance

not worried about tensioner or guides,
probably fixed those on the 09+ anyway

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camphaser lockouts do not work, it’s masking an issue of oil supply. You also are giving up power and torque, it’s a hack job that doesn’t fix anything.

I did the spark plugs on my 07’ myself and put in the updated Motorcraft SP-546 plugs. None broke on removal and the job was a walk in the park.

Last edited:

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Camphaser lockouts do not work, it’s masking an issue of oil supply. You also are giving up power and torque, it’s a hack job that doesn’t fix anything.

I did the spark plugs on my 07’ myself and put in the updated Motorcraft SP-546 plugs. None broke on removal and the job was a walk in the park.

oil supply? isn't that the point of locking out the phaser?
unless the phaser operation itself also provides a pumping mechanism for oil (which i doubt) then lockout should actually work, its the performance of the engine within the locked state which is a mystery here and requires actual experience

probably increases fuel economy while sacrificing upper-range performance (decresed power)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil supply? isn't that the point of locking out the phaser
the lockout does actually work, its the performance of the engine within the locked state which is a mystery here and requires actual experience

No it does not work. The camphasers go bad because of low oil pressure. The top end starves for oil and this is the symptom. If you don’t fix the oil supply issue whether it be tensioners or oil pump the camshafts, cam-caps, and entire valvetrain will get eaten up and the engine will be destroyed. Please don’t spread false information if you are unfamiliar with the 3V OHC engines. Lockouts don’t fix anything but a symptom, it’s like taking Advil for a broken leg and not receiving treatment.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Listen to JExpedition, he speaks the truth. The biggest reason the phasers fail is a gasket behind them goes bad. When the gasket starts leaking, oil that normally feeds the phaser, loses oil pressure. Using the lockout part your talking about, will kill about 40 or more horsepower, due to the fact your camshafts will stay in a retarded position. The advancing of the cams are what give the 24 valve motor the pull in torque and horsepower thrust. I can't see any mileage increase, to the contrary, by not advancing like it's supposed to, your mileage will most likely drop, because your having to press harder on throttle. Bottom line, if your phasers aren't phasing, it's teardown time. Parts alone are about $900.00. chains, guides, phasers, gaskets, updated oil pump, etc.. Hope that sheds some light on this.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 5.4l 3V has an awful reputation. Vehicles with this engine, have a lower book value. Plenty of videos on Youtube. One mechanic claims, the only true fix is engine replacement. The main issue, is bad/lack of maintenance. This is a reason, I kept my 1st gen so long(they last). The new V6 was also a turn off in 2015, when I was looking.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some dude on the internet said it, IT MUST BE TRUE!!!

Buy a Chevy, but look into a tranny shop with a good loyalty programme... maybe "collect 4 stickers and your fifth transmission is FREE"???

PS *not* from some dude on the internet. Know a lot of transportation industry guys with Suburbans, same ol story each time... don't believe me? Find a local haunt of livery drivers and go ask.

Last edited:

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Go ahead w the cam phasers lockouts. Check back in 6-12 mos let us know how they’re doing. Hehehehe.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go ahead w the cam phasers lockouts. Check back in 6-12 mos let us know how they’re doing. Hehehehe.

Would everybody in this thread who actually HAS a current, unresolved cam phaser issue troubling them please stand up?

....anyone???

No? So what y'all on about, then?

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Would everybody in this thread who actually HAS a current, unresolved cam phaser issue troubling them please stand up?

....anyone???

No? So what y'all on about, then?

You’ve read why nobody owns one here. No ones going to stand up.

But the OP has gotten the opinions he’s asked for.

He should just go ahead w it.

Post back 6-12 mos later please.