Thinking of supercharging the 5.4 2v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After installing a new re-man’d 5.4 2v in my ‘03 EB, I’ve put about 5k miles on her working out any more write-ups. I went with JBA headers, eventually replaced both cats, and while I was there just threw on a Magnaflow muffler and rolled stainless tip. I’ve kind of fallen in love all over again. This truck sounds just like my dad’s ‘99 Lightning, which he’s owned since new. Of course when I get on it, it doesn’t have the legendary twin-screw whine of the Eaton supercharger like the Lightning, but all else sounds the same!

So that got me to thinking, why not supercharge the ol’ girl? I wouldn’t do a Lightning mod / swap for the Eaton. I’ve seen write-ups on the web, and it looks significantly more involved. I’ve seen Procharger kits of yester-year, but not sure if anything’s still available today for a bolt-on kit.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that wouldn’t involve massive supporting mods such as internals? I Magnacharged a 5.4 3v years ago, that’s still running strong over a decade later - sold it to one of my brothers years ago. Just thinking of more fun with this ‘03 Expy.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got word back from Procharger, and no dice. I could Frankenstein a kit from them, but I’m looking for something a little more turn-key (or at least application specific).

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're clearly more experienced in this area than I am, but I was intrigued and did a quick search for superchargers. There's several ProCharger P1SC models on eBAY, which I suspect you've seen.

Anyway, this is the one that caught my eye. It's from Allen Engine Development and replaces the plastic intake manifold and uses a roots style blower. It's used, but I liked the all metal design. At $2200 I'd have to do a lot more research before I pulled the trigger.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found the reason not go with the Allen supercharger, it uses an M90 which is the same unit used on the GM 3800 V6. It works good on the 3800, not enough for the 5.4 V8 though. Oh well, I liked the metal intake.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good catch - I did take a quick look at it. Seems like a nice blower, but if Allen is not around anymore, could be challenging to find the rest of the components. It was a scavenger hunt enough to find all the pieces and parts (Motorcraft hoses, vacuum lines, etc) when I swapped out the long block!

The M90 blower was a good catch too. I’ve been searching the interwebs high and low, and just haven’t found a turn key kit like I’ve hoped.

Still just the research phase now….still haven’t broached the topic with my wife

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL, I understand the potential "wife" limitation. Good luck with that.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes if you decide to pursue it.

texasscot

Reaction score
After installing a new re-man’d 5.4 2v in my ‘03 EB, I’ve put about 5k miles on her working out any more write-ups. I went with JBA headers, eventually replaced both cats, and while I was there just threw on a Magnaflow muffler and rolled stainless tip. I’ve kind of fallen in love all over again. This truck sounds just like my dad’s ‘99 Lightning, which he’s owned since new. Of course when I get on it, it doesn’t have the legendary twin-screw whine of the Eaton supercharger like the Lightning, but all else sounds the same!

So that got me to thinking, why not supercharge the ol’ girl? I wouldn’t do a Lightning mod / swap for the Eaton. I’ve seen write-ups on the web, and it looks significantly more involved. I’ve seen Procharger kits of yester-year, but not sure if anything’s still available today for a bolt-on kit.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that wouldn’t involve massive supporting mods such as internals? I Magnacharged a 5.4 3v years ago, that’s still running strong over a decade later - sold it to one of my brothers years ago. Just thinking of more fun with this ‘03 Expy.
I may be interested in replacing my 266k 5.4 2v at some point. Do you have a recommendation as to the source? There seems to be a number of choices.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AER was the remanufacturer I went with - they’re the same company that supplies long-blocks for all Ford dealerships. They were very easy to work with and even waived the core charge if I got it back to them within 30 days. The long-block 5.4 2v came with heads, timing chains and cover installed. I’ve timed a 3v before, so that was fun I’m glad I missed. AER claims to address all of the known deficiencies in the 2v (timing chain guides, tensioners, oil pump, etc.). Cost on my doorstep was about $3,100. I’ve put over 5,000 miles on the engine so far. Problem free.

texasscot

Reaction score
AER was the remanufacturer I went with - they’re the same company that supplies long-blocks for all Ford dealerships. They were very easy to work with and even waived the core charge if I got it back to them within 30 days. The long-block 5.4 2v came with heads, timing chains and cover installed. I’ve timed a 3v before, so that was fun I’m glad I missed. AER claims to address all of the known deficiencies in the 2v (timing chain guides, tensioners, oil pump, etc.). Cost on my doorstep was about $3,100. I’ve put over 5,000 miles on the engine so far. Problem free.
This is excellent information, many thanks. And, of course, Merry Christmas. That’s a good deal for sure. I’m tempted to preemptively do the engine swap to avoid the expensive temptation to buy a Land Cruiser on BAT should it suddenly peg out. Thanks again.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found a blower kit here. Now just need to convince myself it’s worth $8k.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani