Thinking of supercharging the 5.4 2v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasscot

Reaction score
Is there any available info of the capability of the rest of the power train to handle this upgrade?

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great question. There is copious amounts of research I’d have to do before executing a plan like this blower.

Currently, I’m chasing a slight drivetrain vibration that has developed over 70 MPH, so yeah, I’d have to ensure everything else is locked in tight before throwing more power (read: money) at this EB.

OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just talked to the engine manufacturer. Definitely not forged pistons, but “hyper-silica” cast pistons. They said they’re better than the stock cast. A blower would void their 3 year / 100k mile warranty.

I did supercharge my stock ‘05 5.4 3v about 13 years ago, and she’s still running strong with out issue.

Plenty to think about.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought you could run some boost, less than 10lbs, with hypereutectic pistons and anything over 12lbs required forged without question. I suppose there are no guarantees without forged pistons and rods though.

You do have some serious thinking to do.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought you could run some boost, less than 10lbs, with hypereutectic pistons and anything over 12lbs required forged without question. I suppose there are no guarantees without forged pistons and rods though.

You do have some serious thinking to do.
I would say that safe would be more like 5-7lbs of boost and also keep in mind that the tune is also a key factor. Running low boost, with a safe A/F ratio and low timing advance will allow hypereutectic pistons to live in a boosted environment. I ran a supercharged 4.6 4V Mustang Cobra for 15 years with no issues because I didn't get greedy looking for more power.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say that safe would be more like 5-7lbs of boost and also keep in mind that the tune is also a key factor. Running low boost, with a safe A/F ratio and low timing advance will allow hypereutectic pistons to live in a boosted environment. I ran a supercharged 4.6 4V Mustang Cobra for 15 years with no issues because I didn't get greedy looking for more power.

Yeah later Cobra motors had some forged internals ( crank ... but still hyper cast pistons....). They handle boost pretty well.

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the Cobra 4.6 motors had forged internals. They were definitely built for boosting.

Sorry, I did not mention the year. The later 03 / 04 Cobra engines were built really strong. but the 96-98 Cobras (we had a 98) had a really good forged steel crank, but super weak powdered metal rods and Hyperucraptic pistons. Everyone - and I mean everyone - in my circle that pushed the boost and / or the tune on those engines either knocked the rods out of them or cracked pistons. Low boost and a safe tune are the keys to making these stock short blocks survive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kep5niner

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This kit advertises 8-9# of boost. And it looks like a learned a new term: hypereutectic. Is that what I mistakenly understood as “hyper-silica” pistons? Like I said, plenty of research to do.

I have custom tuned several vehicles over the years, and recognize the value, safety, and longevity of a good tune. For my ‘05 F150 3v, I drove it half way across the country to have the (late) Mike Troyer custom tune it after the blower install, after a local speed shop made a soup sandwich out of the tune.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire