Thinking of supercharging the 5.4 2v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah a hypereutectic piston has a high silicone content so I'm sure it's just a different term for the same the thing. I had never heard of hyper-silica, but being the same as hypereutectic was all that made sense to me. I mean in general there's a only a couple flavors of piston composition and manufacturing processes that I have ever heard of.

The tune is the source of so many issues with EFI engines and of course it's the answer as well. My sons 2000 Ranger runs terrific on that E85 corn syrup, but Ford screwed up the tune on E10 or higher gas content fuel and it's extremely prone to detonation. Eventually I will either try my hand at remapping the fuel curve or try to find someone to do it. I didn't have much luck looking for anyone local in the past.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This kit advertises 8-9# of boost. And it looks like a learned a new term: hypereutectic. Is that what I mistakenly understood as “hyper-silica” pistons? Like I said, plenty of research to do.

I have custom tuned several vehicles over the years, and recognize the value, safety, and longevity of a good tune. For my ‘05 F150 3v, I drove it half way across the country to have the (late) Mike Troyer custom tune it after the blower install, after a local speed shop made a soup sandwich out of the tune.
HeHe Yeah. We always referred to hypereutectic pistons as hyperucraptic, because when came out in the 90's they were promoted as being almost as strong as forged and as flexible as cast, of which they were neither.

How safe an overall blower or turbo combination really is depends on a lot of factors all blended together. there is no 1 thing that will make a combo safe or to fail.

For example you could have a very safe 5-7lbs of boost and run crappy gas and 13:1 A/F ratio and hose a motor.
Or run a relatively unsafe (for a cast motor) 10-12lbs of boost but use 100 octane fuel, 11:1 A/F intercooling and no timing and get away with it. It also depends on engine load and other external conditions like ambient and inlet air temps.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyper pistons are fine, people get 1000 HP out of stock 3rd and 4th gen 5.0L Coyotes on stock internals reliably. I’m putting a Whipple on my 2023 F-150 5.0L V8 in May and I’ll be running in the 750 horsepower range. This guy has the gen 3 Whipple on his, putting 855 HP down at the wheel. Stock these trucks run about 5.7 second 0-60, with a good launch on the whipple they do 3 seconds or so. Quite the improvement before and after as you can see, and factory sealed.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hyper pistons are fine, people get 1000 HP out of stock 3rd and 4th gen 5.0L Coyotes on stock internals reliably. I’m putting a Whipple on my 2023 F-150 5.0L V8 in May and I’ll be running in the 750 horsepower range. This guy has the gen 3 Whipple on his, putting 855 HP down at the wheel. Stock these trucks run about 5.7 second 0-60, with a good launch on the whipple they do 3 seconds or so. Quite the improvement before and after as you can see, and factory sealed.

But that was not the conversation. The conversation was about 1990’s cast rotating assemblies. What you are taling about is 20 years later technology.

I don’t disagree that current Cyotes and 3.5T/T will take alot more, but you cant put that kind of power through any 1900 Ford Modulars without serious rotating assembly upgrades.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that was not the conversation. The conversation was about 1990’s cast rotating assemblies. What you are taling about is 20 years later technology.

I don’t disagree that current Cyotes and 3.5T/T will take alot more, but you cant put that kind of power through any 1900 Ford Modulars without serious rotating assembly upgrades.
I’m not saying he can push 800 HP out of a 5.4, my only point was hyper pistons hold up just fine to boost. Both the 3.5 EcoBoost and 5.0 V8 run hyper pistons in their stock form. If he keeps boost in the tolerable range, the engine will live a good life on high octane fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire