Thoughts on engine upgrades for my 07 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am experiencing some issues that I will need to address when spring comes around. I have a clatter at start up. It lasts roughly 2 seconds, then clears up. I have been experiencing some cam phaser issues as well. There is also a horrendous exhaust leak at both manifolds.

So that being said, my thoughts were to purchase new chain guides, tensioners, oil pump, water pump, possibly new chains as well. While the front is torn off engine, I thought I should replace the exhaust gaskets. I have quite a bit of concerns with the studs for these manifolds as I believe some will be broken. I have come to the conclusion that removing the heads might be easier seeings that I will have valve covers off with timing cover off to fix my chain issues. Oh.. forgot that I plan on replacing the phasers as well. I should also mention that the truck has 198,000 miles currently and does not use oil.

So my thoughts were, if I have to pull the heads to fix any studs, do I really want to replace manifolds with factory (since they will be warped most likely) or go aftermarket? Also, if I am going as far as I am going, I thought about upgrading the cams. I see Comp Cam has the SPR cams which require replacement of springs and locking phasers. If I have to replace the phasers, can I just lock them instead or do you need to have a fully functional phaser for the lock to work? What I notice any improvements with what I mentioned or should I go further? Just thought I would get you guys .02.

Thanks!

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would probably use stainless studs for the manifolds if you can find them. If you have plans for full exhaust work then I would install headers if not then just use replacement stock manifolds if yours are warped. I'm not sure about locking phasers but good luck on the work.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Short tube headers aren't worth much. Quality headers might be worth the time if your there already as they could last longer than stock replacements. Long tubes have the potential to make more power and torque but I have not seen any dyno results on 5.4 trucks and quality ones are not cheap.

IMHO cams are not worth it on a stock 5.4. These motors long stroke motors are not set up to rev and you will not make near any advertised horsepower gains staying with the 5000 rpm redline. Start raising the redline and longevity starts becoming a question. I am not 100% however I believe you decide to co head with cams you will be okay with a full lockout. The partial lockouts still requiring properly functioning phasers, they just limit the extent of adjustment.

If you are keeping working phasers I would absolutely replace the solenoids. I would do chains if your in there already.

If you do long tubes and/or cams you should get a tune for it as well. Even if you are not it is still the best bang for the buck upgrade.

Personally If you have/are willing to spend money I would put the $2500 for long tubes and cams towards the cost of a blower. If the bottom end is in good shape it should be reliable and give you much more usable power than cams/long tubes.

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I definitely need to get new chain guides and tensioners installed along with the cam phasers. since i have everything apart, i thought i might as well add some different cams. From what I have been reading, it doesnt sound like I will gain much. It has a horrible exhaust leak at manifolds so I thought, if I am going to go to the trouble of pulling these and dealing with broken studs, I should put new headers on. It would be cheaper to put shortys on but again, not sure about the gain.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately there aren't easy to find dyno numbers for headers for these trucks. I wouldn't expect much from shorties. Same thing with long tubes, not much hard data. There is more potential however while they can help with torque production with improved scavenging, they can also hurt it too large. And neither may not make much difference on a low revving 5.4. I might pull the trigger on the shorties but quality catted long tubes are in the $1500 range and I can't see the gains being worth it to me.