Time to spend some $$ I guess!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, my expedition is ticking again.

Spring/summer of last year I had this issue and had to change the timing chains and guides to fix it. Pressure is showing good now, unlike last time. But the tick is the same and coming from the same area. This time though it's showing it's low on oil, but even after adding additional oil the stick doesn't change. I fear it's holding the oil in the top end of the engine somewhere because it's not leaking back out.

I really like this truck and don't really want to get rid of it - i'd rather just have it as my project vehicle since it's not my only car. So i'm thinking this time instead of tearing into it and fixing it again, and having something like this, or worse, happen next time. I'm just going to buy a remanufactured engine and replace it.

Any suggestions on where to shop? I found one online for $2400 + 250 core charge. It's a 4.6 windsor, unsure on 6 or 8 bolt yet. If i'm going through this work should I swap it out with a 5.4? Any suggestions?

Thanks!