First time Expedition owner/First time poster! Some concerns....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordnate

Reaction score
Hello!

I just purchased a gold certified 2020 Expedition Max Platinum with 30k miles on it! Paid 55k which I thought was fair. The truck is beautiful and I was smitten by its power, looks and features (massage seats and stereo are insane). I also like that all I see on the road is suburbans and this is different. After a couple of weeks I thought I would post.

1. The ride is nice but not nearly as "smooth" as I thought it would be around town. You really fee every bump. Are the 18 inch rims smoother than the 22's? If so, I might downgrade later on.
2. I have tried the self parking feature a couple of times without success - has anyone had issues with this feature?
3. My check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and it is the catalytic converter. They are replacing it for free but I find it very concerning that this went at 30k miles. Is this a common issue?
4. The "lane correct" feature is nice but I am shocked that a vehicle at this trim level in 2020 does not have a self steering feature. My 2018 CRV would steer itself on the highway.

Other than that, so far the vehicle has been very impressive. It is a powerful machine, that is for certain.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
22's may give you looks and sports like handling but 100% it will give you a rougher ride. Tires play a big roll in the comfort of the car.

The Cat is strange and somehow its hard to trust the dealers. I wanted my O2 sensor in my BMW replaced and the dealer said they are rusted in and would need a new exhaust system. I ask if he even tried to remove them he said no. I was able to unscrew them myself easy.

Dealers get paid from Ford for warranty so they may upcharge Ford. You should ask them what is wrong with it. Is it clogged is it cracked, etc.

I am not a expert on Blue Cruise but seems the platinum should have it which is available in select cities.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried park assist and each time I had to manually stop it from hitting a car. Its a useless feature IMO and I never try to use it and rather park the vehicle myself and not rely on a computer. Also, the lane assist thing is neat as it vibrates the wheel if unare crossing to alert you to wake up or stop looking at your phone while on the highway. I wouldnt trust a computer to have control of the wheel at any speeds above 5 mph anyways. But thats just me :) ....Many many useless features that i dont care about. I just wanted the thing for space but happened to come with all these bells and whisltes that are just more things that can break and cost millions to fix and drives up new car prices also when they come standard

OP
OP
fordnate

fordnate

Reaction score
22's may give you looks and sports like handling but 100% it will give you a rougher ride. Tires play a big roll in the comfort of the car.

The Cat is strange and somehow its hard to trust the dealers. I wanted my O2 sensor in my BMW replaced and the dealer said they are rusted in and would need a new exhaust system. I ask if he even tried to remove them he said no. I was able to unscrew them myself easy.

Dealers get paid from Ford for warranty so they may upcharge Ford. You should ask them what is wrong with it. Is it clogged is it cracked, etc.

I am not a expert on Blue Cruise but seems the platinum should have it which is available in select cities.
Thank you for your reply. They are replacing it completely. I do not think Blue Cruise was available in 2020. The 22's do look fantastic on this vehicle. Especially the wheels that the original buys selected. When it comes time to change the tires though, I might go down to an 18. Any idea how much I could get for the 22's that are in my profile pic?

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rims and tires should easily get between 2k and 4k depends on the condition of both.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love everything about my Certified Pre-Owned Platinum. It handles great, gets great gas mileage, rides smooth, shifts perfect, and the loaded features are all a plus, (My kids call me inspector gadget).
I have no problem using the park assist.
My lane assistance works quite well and will actually hold the lane. I played with it on the highway when no cars were around, and it held the lane. But I would get pulled over for driving drunk since it bounces off each line to correct.
Don't swap out the 22s. It will lose it's look, and you won't notice any difference. Check your air pressure on your tires.

You may want to consider resetting your TCM since you purchased a used vehicle. All the previous driver's habits are stored, and several things were adjusted and saved. So, you are driving on the learned habits of the previous owner. I always feel the dealerships should do this with all vehicles equipped with this feature. My Platinum was shifting weird, a little sluggish off the line, felt like a boat going down the road and more. I reset my system and over a period of about 2000 miles I noticed a huge difference. I'm shifting normal, peppier off the line, smooth like riding on air, better gas mileage, (just got 27+mpg on the highway, on a 1200-mile trip).

OP
OP
fordnate

fordnate

Reaction score
I love everything about my Certified Pre-Owned Platinum. It handles great, gets great gas mileage, rides smooth, shifts perfect, and the loaded features are all a plus, (My kids call me inspector gadget).
I have no problem using the park assist.
My lane assistance works quite well and will actually hold the lane. I played with it on the highway when no cars were around, and it held the lane. But I would get pulled over for driving drunk since it bounces off each line to correct.
Don't swap out the 22s. It will lose it's look, and you won't notice any difference. Check your air pressure on your tires.

You may want to consider resetting your TCM since you purchased a used vehicle. All the previous driver's habits are stored, and several things were adjusted and saved. So, you are driving on the learned habits of the previous owner. I always feel the dealerships should do this with all vehicles equipped with this feature. My Platinum was shifting weird, a little sluggish off the line, felt like a boat going down the road and more. I reset my system and over a period of about 2000 miles I noticed a huge difference. I'm shifting normal, peppier off the line, smooth like riding on air, better gas mileage, (just got 27+mpg on the highway, on a 1200-mile trip).
Thanks! Don’t get me wrong, I love mine too. Sucks that the catalytic went so early though.

The shifting is fine. The ride is smooth but you feel every bump. Highway is GREAT!

I agree, switching my tire/wheel setup will change the look and I looooove the current look.

Based on what I’ve read here and other places, switching to 18’s make a major difference. Have you experienced otherwise?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! Don’t get me wrong, I love mine too. Sucks that the catalytic went so early though.

The shifting is fine. The ride is smooth but you feel every bump. Highway is GREAT!

I agree, switching my tire/wheel setup will change the look and I looooove the current look.

Based on what I’ve read here and other places, switching to 18’s make a major difference. Have you experienced otherwise?
Has to be what's stored. Mine is too smooth, almost floats. I do have the premium tow package, not sure if it makes a difference.
Don't believe everything you read. 18's, if the tire height is the same as the 22s, will give you a looser ride because of more sidewall.
My Excursion had 304/45 R22s on it and it was a bumpy ride. My 285/45 R22 Michelin Defenders give me a great ride on my Platinum.
What tires are on your Max Plat?

OP
OP
fordnate

fordnate

Reaction score
Has to be what's stored. Mine is too smooth, almost floats. I do have the premium tow package, not sure if it makes a difference.
Don't believe everything you read. 18's, if the tire height is the same as the 22s, will give you a looser ride because of more sidewall.
My Excursion had 304/45 R22s on it and it was a bumpy ride. My 285/45 R22 Michelin Defenders give me a great ride on my Platinum.
What tires are on your Max Plat?
The vehicle stores suspension? Not sure what you are describing.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle stores suspension? Not sure what you are describing.
The vehicle stores a lot of information than can affect the vehicle's performance, handling and other info.
But thinking of our issue, you may have tires that are a different rating than spec'd for the vehicle.
That's why I asked what tires were on your Max Plat.