Timing chain tensioner. 2011 69k ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmcox

Reaction score
I am thinking I have an issue with my Timing chain tensioner. I cannot recall when it started, but in the past few days I get a rattle for 2-3 sec after start-up. I am not sure if this started after the last oil change, or a day or two before.

I called a shop and they told me to re-change the oil to High Mileage and switch to Motorcraft filter.

This might help keep the oil in the motor to stop this issue at start-up.
From what I can find when looking on the “Net”, I see that most of these issues come from blocked passages and lower quality oil/filter.

Once the problem starts I am guessing there is no stopping the issue.

Details on the Expy.
2011 – 69k – new to me at 38k – I have had it for 2 years (date was 13/01/02) – Most all only changes by NTB – at 6-7k (with my driving that is 2-3 months), Edge Evo HT on 87 OCT setting (not tow),

So, to my questions.

1-Does anyone thing the Oil Change to High Mile will do anything?

2-Is there any chance that driving AS IS will cause MAJOR issues?

3-Is there high probability that the Timing Chain replacement is the only fix?

4-IF I do fix the issue, with a Timing Chain Replacement, is there a high probability that the issue will retrun somtime soon because of the high probability of blockage in the oil passages is the root cause if the issue?

Thanks
Brett Cox

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only true way of checking the tensioners is to pull the timing cover and inspect them. I don't see why they would go at that mileage.
My son just changed his 1st gen at 225,000 miles. You may want to listen with a stethoscope to see if it from the valve train.
You can inspect the oil passages for blockage once the cover is off. If you choose to do the inspection I'd get the ford shop manual for the steps on what to remove and the order of removal.

The engine is an interference type. If a chain should break, slip a tooth or get out of time by any means, your having a bad day. At the least it bends all the valves and dents the pistons. Usually it beats the hell out of them and you end up with a trashed set of heads & pistons.

FYI - I would do the oil changes. That way you know exactly what oil is going in. Unless you see them pull the quart containers out of the box they are using bulk oil. One brand fits all.....

Last edited:

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am thinking I have an issue with my Timing chain tensioner. I cannot recall when it started, but in the past few days I get a rattle for 2-3 sec after start-up. I am not sure if this started after the last oil change, or a day or two before.

I called a shop and they told me to re-change the oil to High Mileage and switch to Motorcraft filter.

This might help keep the oil in the motor to stop this issue at start-up.
From what I can find when looking on the “Net”, I see that most of these issues come from blocked passages and lower quality oil/filter.

Once the problem starts I am guessing there is no stopping the issue.

Details on the Expy.
2011 – 69k – new to me at 38k – I have had it for 2 years (date was 13/01/02) – Most all only changes by NTB – at 6-7k (with my driving that is 2-3 months), Edge Evo HT on 87 OCT setting (not tow),

So, to my questions.

1-Does anyone thing the Oil Change to High Mile will do anything?

2-Is there any chance that driving AS IS will cause MAJOR issues?

3-Is there high probability that the Timing Chain replacement is the only fix?

4-IF I do fix the issue, with a Timing Chain Replacement, is there a high probability that the issue will retrun somtime soon because of the high probability of blockage in the oil passages is the root cause if the issue?

Thanks
Brett Cox

are you sure it is not the cam phasers ?

OP
OP
B

brettmcox

Reaction score
FYI - I would do the oil changes. That way you know exactly what oil is going in. Unless you see them pull the quart containers out of the box they are using bulk oil. One brand fits all.....

I have done it for years, on all my cars, but in the past few years i have ran out of time to do it.
I tend to drop it off when i am at work and walk back after work (2 block) and Oil is change, tire rotated,. for $28.

I tend to only keep cars up to 98-99k miles so never been much of an issue.

OP
OP
B

brettmcox

Reaction score
Follow up-
Left my truck parked all weekend (coldest so far this year).
Did not drive since Friday at 5PM.
Started this Monday (inside was 37 deg, non headed garage)

NO NOISE at start up.

Only difference was i did NOT start with Defrost on. (AC OFF).

I will try this for a few days and see what happens.

Brett