Tinting Front Windshield on 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Anyone do this?

The shop I went to couldn't remove the windshield mounted rear view mirror for fear of breaking the windshield.

I called around and found one shop that tried to do it and cracked the windshield.

Either the glue on these rear view mirror mounts are super strong or the removal tool has changed between the new model and the previous generation model.

Has anyone had any luck tinting their front windshield or removing the rear view mirror mount on an '03 EXPY?

Another shop suggested going to the dealership and have them remove it, but I really don't want to go to the dealership who'll charge $130 (1 hr labor) for five minutes of work to remove the rear view mirror mount.

G

Originally posted by Keydo

Another shop suggested going to the dealership and have them remove it, but I really don't want to go to the dealership who'll charge $130 (1 hr labor) for five minutes of work to remove the rear view mirror mount.

I wanted to get mine done also, glad I saw this thread. That "Special" tool in the link Daveplot provided might be really special. Definitely won't try that myself. And the place that cracked your windshield probably won't try it anymore either.

It really can't be $130 just for that??? Can it :confused:

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just took a guess at what the hourly labor charge would be.

You'd have to make TWO trips too. One trip to the dealership to get the mirror removed.

Then head over to the tint shop - watch out for cops - if you get pulled over - you'll get a ticket.

After the tint shop is done, head back to the dealership - again, watch out for cops!

If the dealership can accomodate you, they'll put it back on, if they can't get to you and make you schedule an appt, then you've got down time on the truck with no rear view mirror plus you need to watch out for cops on the way back home!

With my luck, that's probably what the scenario would be.

The one thing I am wondering though is when the tint shop tints your front windshield, don't they remove the metal base, apply the tint and then glue the metal base onto the tint?

Or do they simply cut a hole for the metal base?

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The whole thing. I want a fairly light film tint just to protect the dash from UV rays.

Yes, I can also get a dash cover, but I like the contrasting dash on the EXPY and it seems a shame to hide that with a dash cover.

G

its not legal. theres a mark on the drivers side about 6" down. thats how far you can tint it down to

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it's not legal to tint your front windshield.

That is why I'm going for a very light tint just to protect the dash.

G

even a new windsheild comes with the metal mirror base already attached. the tint has to be cut around it, and i dont think it would ever stay glued over the tint and support the mirror.

what you needed to do was insert a release tool at the base of the mirror and slide it up and off of the metal base. i used to do it all the time when i worked at a dealership.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2