tires lock when going in reverse and hit brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ciliatus

Reaction score
I have an 04 Expedition XLT 4WD. Driving forward has no issues at all. When I put in reverse, it is fine as well, until I hit the brakes. It is not immediate unless I hit it hard. ie... If I am trying to back slowly, with slight pressure on the brake pedal, it will go for a bit, but then I get a thud and feels like it locked. If I let off of the brakes, it still feels locked, and is almost like a metal to metal grind. If I place back into Drive, my brakes feel a bit loose at first until I basically pump them back up. then everything is fine again.

I thought maybe there was an issue with my back disc pads, so I replaced those. While doing so I also pulled off the rotors and looked at the emergency brakes. I did not see anything that stood out to be the issue. Put everything back together, took it for a drive and still exactly the same thing.

The issue started out slightly and originally when I was backing I would just hear a small thud, but still backed fine. If I backed slowly while some pressure on the brake for about 5 ft or so, then it was fine after that and if I hit the brakes harder, it would not make a thud or anything just stop normally. Now it feels like when it makes that thud, something is binding.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might try pulling the fuse for the abs and testing reverse & braking again to see if it is related to the abs system.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides the Abs malfunctioning, it could be you have a leaking/ sticking brake caliper. I would jack it , put it on 4 strong stands. Have an assistant put in reverse, duplicate symptoms, see if and what wheel is sticking. I don't think they are, but look for any caliper leaking, binding, or loose on mounting. Are their any brake/abs lights lit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

ciliatus

Reaction score
no lights on. I will try removing the fuse when I get a chance, but wonder why it would only do that in reverse though.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you tell which wheel is making the noise r/r or L/r?. Run a diagnostic check. Could be a abs sensor that's making noise but not tripping light. You may have to have shop take a look. At 6,000 lbs don't want brakes at 100 percent.

OP
OP
C

ciliatus

Reaction score
I was way off, it was actually coming from the front tire. Had someone check while I was backing. The front rotor mount it missing the top bolt. Any suggestions where to get a replacement? I checked my local dealership and they would have to order, comes in a pack of 4 and asking for 25

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wrecking yard? Try Oreillys or auto zone? Glad it was something easy.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just checked Oreillys, they can get it for you a $8.29 each. Don't know what year you have. I keyed in 2003. You may have to replace caliper, if you can't remove broken bolt in the old caliper.

OP
OP
C

ciliatus

Reaction score
thanks. Not the caliper bolt, it is the one to the caliper mount. I did find though, they are 14mm x 37mm. They have 14mm x 35mm at Ace hardware I bought a couple there and some blue locktite. Should do the trick.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good deal. If they carry a stronger grade bolt, it's always advisable.