Top Tier Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Costco is labeled top tier. I haven't really seen a substally lower price. Murphy's from Walmart is comparable in price but is not labeled top tier. My understanding is that most fuel vendors purchase a base and add their own additive pack. Kind of like gin...it's a base of vodka with a custom botanical blend.

FormerGermanFan

Reaction score
I know you said you don't care for brand discussion, but based upon the previous facts stated (most stations don't refine their own oil & buy where they sell volume), you can't go wrong with Costco. It's Top Tier (They add in 3X the EPA required detergents), they receive daily fuel deliveries (2X on Saturdays) and it's cheaper than anywhere else!

Unless you visit a sketchy station that charges $.80/gal more than everyone else and rarely sees business I doubt you'll have issues in your 80-100K time-frame. Heck if that's your main worry, buy an extended warranty from Flood Ford and call it a day.

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Costco is quite a bit further away in an area I never go to. QT and the Sam’s fills up frequently, so no issues there. Will be buying a flood warranty, but still trying to rule out any inconveniences along the way. We are a busy family and always on the move.

Sounds like there’s not many issues going on related to fuel, just that Ford recommends top tier same as the higher octane for best results.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This could unravel into decent before the 4 page average but I’ll chime in.

I go to BP 99% of the time and pay at the pump and my main reason is to avoid the riff raff found at the QT and race trac. Is their gas any better? Idk, probably. I’d probably buy at my Sams but it’s not very close to me and every time I go there to shop I’ve recently filled up and the pumps are often busy due to the price.

I should add that I live in a smaller city and the QT and Race trac may not be representative of the entire chain so I apologize if any riff raff got offended /s

QT is top tier too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sams club, Quick Trip and Costco, plus many other gas stations do not own a refinery. They source their gas from multiple venders probably based on price and availability. Look where your closest refinery is that has a truck load out dock. Chances are that’s where it comes from. When I was younger I worked at a Pennzoil refinery. We loaded out every gas station brand but Flying J and Chevron. They had their own refineries down the street. Buy your gas from a place that goes through a bunch of it fast. Less change of condensation or stale fuel. Especially if you drive a diesel. Diesel grows a bacteria after it sits for a while.

Quick Trip and Valero are top tier.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never knew this. Good stuff.

I use Sheetz and Giant Eagle gas (GetGo) because I get gas points for my grocery shopping.

I may have to seek out and try some of these other places to see if there is a difference in performance and gas mileage.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
Thanks. I use QT for convenience all the time in my work vehicle, but Sam’s is always 30 cents or more savings per gallon. I did see the CR article and research, but was mainly trying to see if anything was specifically related to the EB engine as I’m new to this style and engine. Every third tank or so would be top tier as my QT points from the work vehicle would add up to a free tank..

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick Trip and Valero are top tier.

There is a government standard to meet top tier requirements, you know how that works. A few manufacturers are saying its to low in the US. My argument is buy gas from someone who owns a refinery. Valero has refineries. Chevron has Techron that is above and beyond gov standards. Shell has V-power, that’s like 4 times the gov standards. But the Op does not want a brand war. I personally like Shell and Chevron. When top tier first became a thing Quick Trip and Chevron where one of the first to offer it. Costco and Quick Trip have both said they would only buy fuel from premium vendors but you really don’t know what you’re getting unless you know what refinery they bought it from. I would buy gas from any major chain and not feel bad. I do believe the EcoBoost needs to be ran hard a couple times a month more so than having the best gas every tank. It helps keep the waste gate from sticking, knocks valve deposits off, pushed water and oil out of the CAC and it’s fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday