Top Tier Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
There is a government standard to meet top tier requirements, you know how that works. A few manufacturers are saying its to low in the US. My argument is buy gas from someone who owns a refinery. Valero has refineries. Chevron has Techron that is above and beyond gov standards. Shell has V-power, that’s like 4 times the gov standards. But the Op does not want a brand war. I personally like Shell and Chevron. When top tier first became a thing Quick Trip and Chevron where one of the first to offer it. Costco and Quick Trip have both said they would only buy fuel from premium vendors but you really don’t know what you’re getting unless you know what refinery they bought it from. I would buy gas from any major chain and not feel bad. I do believe the EcoBoost needs to be ran hard a couple times a month more so than having the best gas every tank. It helps keep the waste gate from sticking, knocks valve deposits off, pushed water and oil out of the CAC and it’s fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Fozzy, appreciate that input

FormerGermanFan

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Costco is quite a bit further away in an area I never go to. QT and the Sam’s fills up frequently, so no issues there. Will be buying a flood warranty, but still trying to rule out any inconveniences along the way. We are a busy family and always on the move.

Sounds like there’s not many issues going on related to fuel, just that Ford recommends top tier same as the higher octane for best results.

I understand that for sure, going to the dealer can be a hassle. I wish Ford provided the same valet repair service they do on Lincolns - considering these trucks cost more than most Lincolns!

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Listen, it's all about price. I drove a fuel truck for years before I retired. We'd leave one terminal and go down the street to another terminal to save a penny. Very few refine gas anymore. Every station you can think of (costco, Flying J/Pilot, Sunoco, BP, Shell, Marathon, the little guy no one's heard of) all load their trucks at the same place, out of the same huge storage tank, from the same pipeline. True, some have separate "additive" tanks, but the additive is SO small a percentage (I forget now, but under 0.5%), it doesn't matter. As said above....buy from a station that sells a lot. You don't want that crap laying around. Gas pretty much is GAS.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Listen, it's all about price. I drove a fuel truck for years before I retired. We'd leave one terminal and go down the street to another terminal to save a penny. Very few refine gas anymore. Every station you can think of (costco, Flying J/Pilot, Sunoco, BP, Shell, Marathon, the little guy no one's heard of) all load their trucks at the same place, out of the same huge storage tank, from the same pipeline. True, some have separate "additive" tanks, but the additive is SO small a percentage (I forget now, but under 0.5%), it doesn't matter. As said above....buy from a station that sells a lot. You don't want that crap laying around. Gas pretty much is GAS.

We do 3rd party work at many refineries and a lot of them are going for the wax these days. We are currently at a small no name refinery and you will not see a Chevron truck load out of the rack. I need to ask one of the operators how they add the additives and detergents. If it’s actually injected at the load out rack or during the blending operations. Refineries are organized madness mixed with magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fozzy...yes, if additives are added, it's at the loading rack, just before it's finished loading. The gas comes up the pipeline from the refiner, goes into the storage tank, then into the trailer. It's all the same gas from the refiner and up the pipeline. At the terminal is where the additive (if any) and the ethanol is added. Let's not even discuss the butane. Yes, butane! One location where I loaded, there are four terminals. None are name brand. All owned by other suppliers (basically middle men), but send gas to everyone you can think of...Sunoco, BP, Shell, Pilot/Flying J, Marathon, Love's, Sheetz, Liberty, Exxon and others. Like I said, it's all the same.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll tell you this, I filled at top tier whenever Possible. I out cheap Kroger gas in my wife car all the time. Used fuel points there. It was costly.

basically the wife’s car carboned up. Techron additives were worthless at getting it lined out. I later saw a YouTube video where they ran several additives and looked in with a bore scope. Techron was a good one, but it just does so little with build up it’s not that big a deal.

ended up running sea foam through the pcv of that car a few times. Enough to choke it out. Only that way would it break stuff loose. Was incredible. Made a crunching sound. Only solved about 70% of the issue. Had to repeat that every so often.

so since the top tier gas feed car did so well, I’d buy that. Costco gas has been particularly good for me the last four years.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gas is gas, nuff said. Grab a can of your favorite nitrogen based fuel system cleaner and dump it in every quarter if it makes you feel better.

Since tuning my truck (f150) I’ve learned not all gas is equal. On my engine monitor I can see how the ECU is adjusting timing based on the fuel quality. I’m driving my current tank till empty the trying another gas station.

Adding more detail. Ford ECUs have an OAR rating (octane adjustment ratio). My tuner lets me see this number and how the ECU is adjusting/limiting my time due to the octane and quality of the gas. Negative 1.00 is the goal.

Last edited:

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not going to argue, but after hauling it for years, gas is gas. Now, that being said....there is something to where you buy it, how long has it been sitting there, how often do they clean the filters, and the big one....is anything getting into the tank, i.e., dirty leaking IN, etc.

I've actually delivered to stations where the fill was down hill and rain water would enter the spill bucket. Not a big deal if they know that and pump the water out (I doubt they did), but not good news if they drained it INTO the tank. I've seen things and heard stories that you wouldn't believe.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ALSO DELIVERED GASOLINE FOR 20 YEARS. additive is added at the loading rack all controled by the customer computer card. customer can control the additive thru the terminal.Same gas from branded to unbranded use to see on computer print outs x amount of gallons transfered from MObil to citgo and from exxon. same gas all thru paper work.most in n.j. comes thru a pipe line some by barge.I have seen a sunoco barge cover the logo and head up river to getty and fill up. Also never buy prem. drivers make errors and cross drop I have done it many times. Also dealers will grease your palm to cross drop. If you car/ truck runs OK on what ever keep using it

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got 87 octane fuel out of a 93 octane pump at a Sam's one time and I got a heavy dose of water in my Harley at a BJ's once. A couple bucks a tank isn't worth the risk. You may never have a problem. I do agree with using a station that pumps alot of fuel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday